We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Lake Toya to Biei

Singapore
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drive from Lake Toya to Biei

Dear all,

I am driving from Lake Toya to Biei early July, I am wandering if I should use the expressways or just go with toll-free route as the toll is rather expensive (7000 yen). Can anyone advise pls?

Tks.

Yokohama
Level Contributor
939 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Lake Toya to Biei

If you are going to drive on weekend and rent a car from particular company(Toyota, Nippon, Mazda...), then rent a ETC card with your car, the toll-way is only 1000Yen.

Singapore
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Lake Toya to Biei

Dear Hirano,

Thanks. Does that mean that if I don't have ETC card, the toll is higher? I am renting a car from Mazda, hope I could rent an ETC card. Thanks.

Yokohama
Level Contributor
939 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Lake Toya to Biei

Hi Baligal,

>> if I don't have ETC card, the toll is higher?

Yes, the regular toll is expensive(7150Yen).

The rule of this ETC discount is VERY complicated,

1) applicable on WEEKEND only.

2) you should use ETC gate when you enter / exit from express way.

3) you should have the ETC card and the ETC device with your car.

4) most rental car has ETC device but ETC card rental is available at specific rental comapny at specific branch.

at least Nippon rental Sapporo is possible.

5) number of rental ETC card is limited, so you should reserve ETC card when you reserve a car.

6) insert the ETC card to the ETC devide completely.

enjoy!

Singapore
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Lake Toya to Biei

THanks. Unfortunately, I am renting with Mazda Sapporo and they have informed that they do not have ETC rental. Is it possible for me to get an ETC card from elsewhere? Thanks.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Lake Toya to Biei

HI there

I suggest driving cross country anyway...to enjoy the scenary!

Two suggested routes:

1. Lake Toya cross country to Sapporo - via Niseko and Nakayama Pass and Jozankei. Then on to Biei eith by short express way connection or by local roads.

2. Lake Toya via a short expressway link to Tomakomai Higashi - then local roads 234 and 274 to Yubari and Hidaka, then north on the 237 to Furano and Biei.

Both routes would take a good 4 hours drive...lunch...relax...flowers..views...mountains...NICE!

amanda

Mentioned in this post
Yubari
Yubari
Hokkaido, Japan
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Lake Toya to Biei

Hi Biligal,

How was your trip in Jul?

I will also be driving from Lake Toya to Furano this Oct. I've also booked Mazda and they do not have ETC rental and will have to take the longer route to save money.

Which route did you take on your way back to Sapporo?

Thanks,

Gheng

Mentioned in this post
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
7. Re: Drive from Lake Toya to Biei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 04:15