We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Sapporo

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in Sapporo

Hello, I'm flying into Sapporo for business but am getting there early so I can do some sight-seeing. I have the weekend of the 3rd and 4th of October for sight-seeing but may have to attend a reception on the evening of the 4th.

I would like to do some walking/gentle hiking as I've heard things about the nearby lakes and lavender fields. Can anyone advise if it is possible to manage this on my own or do I need the help of a local tour agency? I read chinese not japanese and don't plan to drive. Is there a particularly good place to view the autumn colours?

Best foods to try in Sapporo besides beer? Is the seafood very expensive?

Any local products worth buying as souvenirs? I'm going to Tokyo next, so don't really want anything that isn't specific to Hokkaido.

Thanks in advance

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Sapporo

You should be in time for some lovely autumn colours. Actually in Sapporo itself the parks have some lovely autumn colours- Nakajima (by Susukino) and Maruyama (on the Tozai subway line).

Hokkaido University campus (just north of Sapporo station) is large and full of colourful trees (the leaves are just on the turn now, so by the first weekend in October they should be coming to full colour). The weekends are usually popular with tourists and locals walking round the campus.

If you like hiking you could consider having a look round Moiwa yama (also within Sapporo). The hiking trail starts aren't so easy to find without some Japanese, but you could take the cable car up and then hike down, the trails are well marked and plenty of people to help you out.

Jozankei hot springs is a 1 hour bus trip away from Sapporo and has some very lovely autumn scenes and you can soak in the hot springs if you want too.

The lavender fields are up in Furano and Biei, but the flowers will have gone by the beginning of October. However the autumn scenery is nice up there especially with the backdrop of the Daisetsu mountains(which should have some fresh snow on them by then). You can take a train from Sapporo up to there in less than 2 hrs. Its probably worth visiting the tourist information in Sapporo station to see if there are special tickets still available for there if you're interested in going- they have english and chinese speaking staff.

Best foods in Sapporoor or typical for Hokkaido

Seafood (crab, etc )

Ghenghis Kahn (BBQ lamb and vegetables)

Ramen- the hokkaido varieties with corn and butter

Soup curry

You can eat seafood quite cheaply in Sapporo (and it will be good still) or expensively. If you are going to a reception they may put some hokkaido specialities out anyway, but you can certainly try the hokkaido seafood in Sapporo (and its very good IMO). Even the cheaper keiten sushi (conveyor belt sushi) has good seafood at them, or go to the izakaya (bars) too. Have a look on this site for Nessies restaurant reccomendations for some ideas.

Local souvenirs- Le tao chocolate is only available in Hokkaido, there main shop is in Otaru a pretty town close to Sapporo, bu they have some shops in the basement food court of Daimaru Department store.

Royce chocolate is also very good, though you can find that at the airports in TOkyo. Probably other people will be able to suggest others. Potatoes and corn (biscuits and what not) are specialities of hokkaido too. And if you visit Otaru there are the glass shops there (hand blown glass).

Hope that helps

Sapporolite

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Sapporo

Thanks Sapporolite - sounds like I have a good number of choices for the autumn colours and am looking forward to the seafood already!

Thanks for the quick response too!

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Sapporo

Here is the info about hiking on Mount Moiwa:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298143-c75013/Hokkai…

Amanda

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Sapporo

Thank you!!

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Sapporo

You're welcome, I hope the weather is good for your trip

Sapporolite

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Sapporo

For a wilder hike, you could take a bus to Mt. Kotengu, next to Jozankei Dam in the Jozankei hot spring district of Sapporo, about an hour southwest of downtown.

The trail up Mt. Kotengu starts at the dam and is clearly marked. It's an hour to the peak. It's a steep, stepped trail, but not technically difficult. From the top you can see the dam, Sapporo Lake, and several other peaks, including the jagged Mt. Jozankei Tengu to the west. The mountain is about 600m in elevation, but you start at about 200m.

The peak is at the center of this map.

maps.google.com/…

I was mountain biking in the Jozankei backwoods last weekend and the leaves are just starting to turn. They'll be at their peak in two weeks.

Another site is Hoheikyo Dam, also near the Jozankei hot spring district. I believe you can get a ticket that includes the bus to the dam plus a bath at nearby Hoheikyo Hot Spring. There's a short trail that leads from the top of the dam up to a lookout above the dam restaurant. It's an easy 15- or 20-minute walk up, with views across Jozan Lake.

The dam is at the middle here:

maps.google.com/…

The easiest hike would be Mt. Maruyama (400m). The trailhead is at the south side of Maruyama Park, a 10-minute walk from west from Maruyama Koen Suway Station. The climb takes 40 minutes to the top, and passes by bird feeds where birds, squirrels and chipmunks gather. The view is of the Japan Sea to the north, and the Ishikari Plain to the east, all the way Mt. Yubari on the horizon.

Private message me if you'd like any more details, or other hike ideas.

sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Sapporo

Are these trails likely to be open in late December? We're stopping over on way back from Niseko in Sapporo and wondering what to do/where to go. Family of 4, 2 girls aged 9 and 14... Your suggestion?

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Sapporo

No - unless you are experienced with snow hiking and have the right equipment I wouldn't do any of these trails in late December - a walk in one of the parks in the snow would be fun- Sapporo Art Park ( a bus ride from the Makomonai subway station) has snow shoes for visitors and you can stomp around looking at the art installations.

Or Maruyama Park and the shrine getting ready for the New Year festival and the zoo...

or any of the sights in Sapporo.

You can take the cable car up to the top of Moiwa Mountain and look over the city...or go to the skijumps near the city.

amanda

9. Re: Weekend in Sapporo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2010, 06:19