We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hakodate??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hakodate??

I am planning a ski trip with my sister to Niseko (approx. 5 days) in March next year. We are definitely going to Sapporo (approx. 2 days) for sightseeing as well, but cannot decide if we should go to Hakodate. Should we miss it?

Also, other than ski fields, are there other attractions we should check out in Niseko in March? We do not plan to rent a car.

Thank you.(

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hakodate??

Hakodate is worth a visit- its a lovely historical city, great seafood.

By train its around 3and a half hours from Sapporo. If you enjoy hot springs then you could consider visiting Noboribetsu, Toya or Jozankei. These places are accessible by train and bus.

Otaru in between Niseko and Sapporo is also nice for a day/half day trip. There are lots of glass blowing studios and great chocolate and cake options.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hakodate??

If you are skiing at Niseko you should do at least 1 day to Rusutsu, this is another resort about 45 minutes away. There are buses there from Hirafu Village.

You can also go to other ski areas such as Sapporo Koksai and Kiroro...but they are further away.

Staing at Niseko - you can make daytrips to Otaru/Sapporo and Lake Toya...Noboribetsu.

Amanda

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hakodate??

I can't recommend a trip to Hakodate highly enough! We've visited twice. If you stay near the station you can walk up to Mt Hakodate to the ropeway to view THE most spectacular scenery. We stayed at the Kokusai hotel and were able to make the walk up even in the middle of winter - it was cold and the road was icy/slippery in some places but it was so much fun and the scenery amazing. Oh, I could rave on and on about what a surprise this beautiful town was. I love it so much. I have written about it on our blog http://momijitomitsukoshi.wordpress.com if you want to see more!! Have an awesome ski trip. I'm not jealous......

SG
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hakodate??

Hi, which place has better and fresher seafood: Sapporo or Hakodate? Looking for crabs as well. Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,059 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hakodate??

I don't think there is much of a difference to the point that you can taste it. Theoretically, Hakodate is right next to the water. Don't base your itinerary on just seafood though.

Edited: 24 August 2010, 19:49
SG
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hakodate??

Is seafood cheaper in Hakodate? Trying to find out whether it is worthwhile to travel to Hakodate from Sapporo for a night stay, then back to Sapporo then Chitose Airport.

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hakodate??

I don't think there will be much difference in price. Certainly not enough to justify a trip down there just for seafood. Hakodate is nice place to visit aside from the seafood. You can get equally good and fresh seafood in Otaru and Sapporo for the same price I would imagine.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,059 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hakodate??

I don't think prices would differ much either and as Sapporolite said, certainly not enough to justify a separate trip. Whether you visit Hakodate should be decided based on the rest of your itinerary because Hakodate is generally in the opposite direction from most of what's interesting in Hokkaido.

9. Re: Hakodate??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 05:16