We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

We are flying into Sapporo from Tokyo and prefer a private transfer rather than tackle trains or buses. We are not young and have several suitcases with us.

We plan to stay 1 night in Otaru prior to embarking on a cruise the next day.

Does anyone have any advise re information about a private car that we could book for my husband and me to pick us up from our flight and take us to our hotel in Otaru.

Thank you.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

The fixed rate for Otaru from Chitose Airport by Sawayaka Musen company is 17,500 yen (196AUD).

Not many people are happy to pay that price.

http://www.sawayaka-musen.net/price/

People from continental countries are naturally attracted to the idea of private transfers and private cars. It doesn't usually work that way in Japan.

I recommend taking the train then taxi from the station. The stations have lifts and escalators. Shin-Chitose Airport Station is just under the terminals and the taxi pool is just outside Otaru Station. With additional few coins paid at the ticket office you can reserve a U-seat on Airport Rapid train. The U-seat train car has a space for keeping suitcases. If you don't want to handle them at all, send the suitcases by Takuhaibin delivery service from airport arrival counter to accommodation. The luggage will arrive within 48 hours, most probably on the next day. 2,500 yen or less a piece.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 06:18
Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

Thank you very much for your quick reply. The train certainly is a much cheaper option but we are happy to pay for a private car.

Is there anyway to read the link you so kindly recommended in English?

Or do you know of another company who does car transfers with maybe an English speaking driver or at least an email address with someone who can reply in english to our request.

Thank you again for your help. I have spent many hours researching this without finding exactly what we need.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

Unfortunately, I personally know no hire/taxi company in Sapporo/Otaru area with a driver with English language ability. If you are staying at a hotel in Otaru you may ask the hotel staff to assist you in booking a fixed price taxi (as taxi on normal fare basis would be prohibitively expensive; I assume it will cost double or triple the fixed rate). Please kindly browse through Google Search for any other possibilities. Personal paid car service without taxi license is banned in Japan, and I don't know any drivers offering personal transfer services.

As for the fixed fare taxi offered by Sawayaka Musen Co, (one of the larger taxi groups in the area), please see the page with auto-translation. Google translate does a bad job at translating Japanese into English (or vice versa), but it might help you:

translate.google.co.jp/translate…

Edited: 27 January 2014, 11:42
Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

Thank you again for helping me with this. I will search for a fixed fare taxi and see what I come up with.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,056 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

>> have several suitcases with us

You solve that problem by using luggage delivery service at the airport.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

Hi there

How about this taxi company?

It is based at Kita Hiroshima, between Sapporo and Chitose - they do airport pick ups and offer runs throughout the area.

hiroshimakoutsu.com/english/chitose-airport.…

Amanda

Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

Thank you I will check them out. Maybe they will also be able to drive us to Otaru.

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

Hi Sassi, we have caught the train from the airport to ShinSapporo with luggage and it was easy. We are both in our 60s. We had two large suitcases and two carry on bags - all had wheels. There is a lift to the platform, luggage storage section on the train, we had the booked seats section. There is an announcement on the train what the next station is, so you can be ready to get out. Make sure you have your hotel name written in Japanese as 99% of taxi drivers do not speak English. We travel to Japan every year, use the train to get around and have not had any problems. Later this year we are also going on a cruise from Otaru port and will be getting to the port by train and taxi.

If you have any questions I might be able to answer !

Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

Thanks very much for your valuable information on using the trains and getting a taxi.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private transfer from Sapporo airport to hotel in Otaru

Hello Ann! (Leslie here) Thanks for your info - we are all on the same SS cruise from Otaru. So, you can take the train directly from the airport to Otaru without changing trains? That's what it looks like on the timetable. Also, any hotel recommendations in Otaru? Thanks.