We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jukieso Ryokan

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jukieso Ryokan

Anyone familiar with Ryokan Jukeiso? Is it ok for families?

Thanks!

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jukieso Ryokan

So you've decided to spend a night on Miyajima! Wonderful, you will love it. Be sure to visit Daisho-in.

I haven't stayed in Jukeiso but I've talked to someone who has done so. For them, it was fine, nothing special, but adequate.

Everything on Miyajima is expensive. If you can manage the expense, consider staying at Iwaso Ryokan. It is a true Ryokan experience, the hostess greets you with tea, shows you everything in the room (and the English language translations!). You go out and hike the mountain or take the gondola up, then come back, soak in onsen, then to dinner while your beds are being set up. Then walk out in your yukata to see the shrine lit up at night, then off to sleep. In the morning you have a great breakfast (western choices are available), then walk to Daisho-in for a quiet morning, then off to catch the ferry back.

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jukieso Ryokan

Decided? Ha! Still working out details but based on everyone's feedback, definitely spending more time in Osaka since it is centrally located. Trying to fit it all in has been tough. Already wanting to come back and see things I'm leaving off the list and I haven't even arrived yet!

I saw the ryokan you suggested and I'll go back thru my search and find it. Thanks for the rec. It is always nice to hear from someone who has been there.

Let me run this by you....

Leave Osaka by train

Arrive in Hiroshima, see the sites, then travel to Miyajima in the early afternoon to see Mt Misen (sp?)

Spend night in Miyajima and then go back to Kyoto.

What do you think? Advice?

Thanks! :)

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jukieso Ryokan

That plan looks totally doable. I've made the Hiroshima--Kyoto trip many times.

It is also possible to go all the way from Hiroshima back to Tokyo in one day. So you would do Tokyo--Kyoto---Hiroshima (Miyajima)--Tokyo. It's a long day back to Tokyo, but you actually waste less time changing hotels and moving this way. The longer you can stay in one place as a base, the more time you can spend seeing and learning.

And again, I do suggest that you stay in either Osaka or Kyoto, no need to do both, they are so close together. I know several people who live in Osaka and work in Kyoto.....it's a quick train ride.

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jukieso Ryokan

Thanks for the info. Ok...so I have decided to stay one night on Miyajima and then head back to Osaka/Kyoto. I think I read somewhere that you can have your luggage shipped ahead to your next destination...do you know anything about that? I'd rather just take overnight bags down to Hiroshima..

Thanks

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jukieso Ryokan

Shipping luggage is done all the time and always arrives as promised. Just have the front desk of your hotel take care of it for you. Have the name of your next hotel written down so they understand where you are shipping and they will set it up, cost will be less than $20 a bag.

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jukieso Ryokan

Sounds great. SO much easier than lugging it everywhere. Thanks for the info!

BTW, do you have any suggestions on things to do for kids (besides amusement parks)?

7. Re: Jukieso Ryokan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 06:17