We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiroshema One day visit from Cruise Ship

Coachella Valley...
Level Contributor
99 posts
46 reviews
Hiroshema One day visit from Cruise Ship

We will in in Hiroshema for one day, July 4th. We are interested in visiting Peace Memorial Park, Atomic Bomb Dome and Hiroshemia Castle. Also want to try Oysters and Okonomiyaki. Is this possible in a one day visit? What is the best way to get to these areas from the cruise ship pier?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
807 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: Hiroshema One day visit from Cruise Ship

I would skip the castle because Hiroshima's is nothing special and is just a concrete shell.

You can easily do the rest of the items on your list. I would try to add Miyajima if possible. There are lots of oyster places there right by the dock.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Hiroshema One day visit from Cruise Ship

I'd simply take a taxi into the city, get the driver to drop you off at Peace Park - take a map with you. Otherwise take tram #1 or #3 from the Port but you'll need to walk to the tram stop.

There's also a regular bus to the city, I recall catching a bus from the city going to the lovely Grand Prince Hotel & it included a stop at the Port terminal. The bus was time consuming (nearly an hour) because of all the stops & the traffic. (In fact a morning visit to Peace Park & then back for lunch at Nadaman at the hotel would be ideal. The views from there are magnificent.)

When do you sail?

If you decide to go to Miyajima be conscious of the time it takes. The most sensible method in your case is a ferry direct from the Port in 24mins but this means it would be unlikely that you would have time to go into Hiroshima city as well.

Besides taxis, trams are the most convenient means of getting around the city

http://www.hiroden.co.jp/en/s-routemap.html

Usually oyster season is in Winter in Hiroshima. Shukkei-en Garden is another place to visit.

Try to get to Matsue city to see a real castle.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Hiroshema One day visit from Cruise Ship

Hi there I can help you a bit. If you take a taxi to the park you will be able to visit all the atomic bomb sites in a morning including the museum and all the memorials in the park itself. Once you have completed this you simply go to the main street which is by the dome and take the #2 cable car to the very last stop and from here you can take the ferry to Miyajima island where you can visit one ofthe most important shinto shrines in japan. Bear in mind that from the atomic dome it will take about an hour to the island ferry.

I didnt much else in Hiroshima but the dome and the island are the main attractions.

good luck

angie

www.angietravels.com

Coachella Valley...
Level Contributor
99 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Hiroshema One day visit from Cruise Ship

Thank you the info will help us manage limited time. I will be sure look at info on Miyajima, we in port until 4AM so we should have plenty of time

Coachella Valley...
Level Contributor
99 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Hiroshema One day visit from Cruise Ship

Angie, Do You mean that to get from the Dome to the Ferry to Miyajima will take an hour plus time for the ferry ride over. If so how much time should we allow?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Hiroshema One day visit from Cruise Ship

the ferry takes about 10 mins - its very close. The tram is what takes the long time. I easily did both in a day though I started at the island as it was the furthest and also because once you have seen the museum and the atomic bomb sites it leaves you feeling a bit somber. If you want to do the island first then the #2 tram starts at the station which isnt far from the dome anyway.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
92 reviews
7. Re: Hiroshema One day visit from Cruise Ship

There is also a direct boat from Hiroshima Peace Park to Miyajima, which might save you some time:

aqua-net-h.co.jp/modules/…

Timetable (n Japanese): aqua-net-h.co.jp/modules/…

8. Re: Hiroshema One day visit from Cruise Ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 05:16