We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

My Husband is really interested in visiting Hiroshima. Have only one day open in which we have planned to visit Osaka Castle. Leaving from Kyoto, are staying at a hotel in Sakai for 2 nights.

What do you think about trying to do both in one day? Would it be possible?

I have planned to go from Kyoto to Nara for the day and then Sakai. But could rearrange our other day in Sakai and go to and from Sakai to Nara.

IF we could manage it, Which option would be faster as far as travel times?

(1)take the train from Kyoto.

Or:

(2) from Sakai to Hiroshima, back to Osaka castle then back to Sakai.

after all this we have an early train, to Hakone for one day to do the loop, alot of traveling but I'm trying to cram in as much as possible since we may not be able to come back with the crazy airfares...

The advice from the people in these forums is soooo helpful!!! Thanks

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,661 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

If it was me, I'd skip Osaka Castle and head straight to Hiroshima. Osaka Castle is very underwhelming.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 20:56
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

Really?

We went to Himeji and thought it was pretty cool. But it is under reconstruction I hear.

Husband loves history and I love the romance of old castles and temples.

If we just went to Hiroshima not sure what else to do there

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,858 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

Osaka castle "is a concrete reproduction (including elevators) of the original and the interior is intended as a modern, functioning museum."

One way trip Sakai - Hiroshima is 130 - 140 minutes. it's not like you have a lot of time there.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

Though much smaller, Hiroshima has its own castle. I would skip Osaka one and find a time too see Hiroshima's

Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

Great advice Thank you! We will do that!

Now...

From Kyoto or from Sakai?

I think kyoto to Hiroshima is shorter than from sakai

Than doing Nara as a daytrip from sakai...Have looked at Hyperdia so much I can't tell anymore -I'm so confused

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

You'll need about 2 hours to see the Peace Museum and Park in Hiroshima.

There is a really nice castle just outside of Kyoto called Hikone. Beautiful grounds, LOTS of history. Gifu castle is up that way, too, and worth a visit if you had time.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with travel from Sakai.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,661 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

Hiroshima Castle has a little museum which was pretty interesting. I think it took me about an hour to walk through it.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,182 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

The scaffolding at the exterior of Himeji Castle has been removed. However, the interior is now under renovation so parts of it might be off-limits to visitors. It's conceivable that you could visit Himeji Castle and at least snap some pictures of its exterior even if interior access is off-limits, and then head to Hiroshima and Miyajima for the rest of the day.

Since you only have one day, even Hikone is too far to go since it's about 45 minutes heading in the opposite direction from Kyoto.

Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

Hiroshima Castle is good, but the Hikone Castle is also good.

Tokyo, SanDiego
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiroshima and Osaka Castle in one day?

Those of you who dis Osaka Castle don't know much about Japanese history. Osakajo is the castle with most history of all. Sure, the inside of castle is reconstructed and not worth your time, but where else do you see the foundation and stone work like that? Have you seen the ginormous Octopus Stone and know where and how people brought it to Osaka? It's just mind-blowing.

The moat and stone work of Osaka Castle is the best. You cannot see them anywhere else, not in Himeji or Hikone and certainly not in Hiroshima. Osaka Castle is totally awesome!