We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mud slide risk during Hiroshima and Miyajima trip?

9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mud slide risk during Hiroshima and Miyajima trip?

I am going to Japan next week and have one day scheduled in Hiroshima to visit the Atomic Bomb museum and a night in Miyajima. I just saw an article today about mud slides that have affected the area but without much detail on the actual locations, so am wondering if this should be a concern?

…wsj.com/japanrealtime/…

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,093 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mud slide risk during Hiroshima and Miyajima trip?

Those mud slides happened last month and not near the places where you are going next week.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mud slide risk during Hiroshima and Miyajima trip?

The deer on Miyajima are the risk you should be worried about! Keep maps, cash, passports, and travelers checks in zippered compartments or buttoned pockets. Those deer grabbed and ate my map last year!!!

Mentioned in this post
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,093 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mud slide risk during Hiroshima and Miyajima trip?

haha ok, thanks for the advice. Last thing we want is to have our passports eaten by deers! :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mud slide risk during Hiroshima and Miyajima trip?

They also like rail passes!

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mud slide risk during Hiroshima and Miyajima trip?

That's no joke about the deer and maps. After I got off the ferry I started looking at my paper map to get my bearings, and within seconds a deer grabbed the corner of my map in its mouth and tried to pull it away from me.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mud slide risk during Hiroshima and Miyajima trip?

Yes, a deer pulled (and ate) my map out of my back pocket too. Then nipped me on the bottom for good measure! My daughter thought it was hilarious.

7. Re: Mud slide risk during Hiroshima and Miyajima trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2015, 05:16