We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miyajima to Tokyo - which train should I take?

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
771 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Miyajima to Tokyo - which train should I take?

The ryokan we are staying at on Miyajima has a checkout time of 10am and is about 10 minutes from the ferries. If we left ryokan by 10am, can we catch a 11:31am train from Miyajimaguchi station to Tokyo? There is an 11:03 but that seems a bit tight depending on wait for ferry. Next one is 12:31.

Mentioned in this post
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,097 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,559 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miyajima to Tokyo - which train should I take?

You should be able to catch the 11:31, maybe even 11:03. Killing 30 minutes at shops in Hiroshima Station is easy. Make sure to get some goodies to eat/drink in the Shinkansen.

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miyajima to Tokyo - which train should I take?

Yes. You can catch the ferry departing at 10:25 or 40. It only takes about 10 minutes to cross.

So you can probably catch the train departing from Miyajimaguchi for Hiroshima at 10:46 (arrival 11:14) or 11:03 (arrival 11:32).

If you are using the JR Pass, you cannot ride the Nozomi or Mizuho, but Hikari and Sakura. So naturally (excluding the extraordinary services during busy periods), the train from Hiroshima would be Sakura No.546 departing at 11:53 for Shin-Osaka (arrival 13:24). There is a Hikari coming from Okayama which will arrive at Shin-Osaka at 13:40, so you might get off at Shin-Kobe for a smooth transfer (a bit boring choices of bento box but easier connection is at Shin-Kobe; it has only one platform for each direction). Arrival at Tokyo is at 16:40.

But if you aren't really hurrying it to Tokyo, you might consider making a stopover at Okayama for one of the famed gardens there and the preserved historic district and Ohara Museum in Kurashiki (usually better accessed from Okayama rather than Shin-Kurashiki), or Himeji for Japan's best castle, or Kobe for the Ropeway city view and perhaps Kobe Beef.

Edited: 21 March 2015, 21:18
Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Okayama
Okayama
Okayama Prefecture, Japan
Kobe
Kobe
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Ohara
Ohara
32 Reviews
Odawara, Japan
Kurashiki
Kurashiki
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miyajima to Tokyo - which train should I take?

Allow 10 min. walk for a slow walking family from the Miyajimaguchi ferry port arrival to the JR train platform through the underground passage. Elevators are available, if needed.

If you are in a hurry, trying to reserve seats wastes time by not being able to hop on the next incoming one but must go to the Midorinomadoguchi & check which one has reserve-able seats available and you may have to pass a few shinkansens while doing so.

If you want, hop on next shinkansen, if you see empty seats on Sakura or Hikari as many passengers get off in Hiroshima. You may que up a few min. before the train arrival. Transfer at the Tokyo bound Hikari origination station at Okayama, Shin-Osaka, even Kyoto, etc. so you have better chance of desired non-reserved seats when the train is empty. Or if you want and had time along the way, reserve seats.

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Okayama
Okayama
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
4. Re: Miyajima to Tokyo - which train should I take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2016, 05:16