We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiroshima day trip advice.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Hiroshima day trip advice.

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice in arranging my day trip in Hiroshima.

I will be in Kyoto for a few days with entire stay covered by JR pass. I was planning to visit Hiroshima for one day. Plan to use JR pass to get to Hiroshima from Kyoto and back. There is a guided tour by japanican/JTB Sunrise which starts and ends at Hiroshima station (for JPY 15000). This covers visit to Miyajima, Itsukushima Shrine (120 min) with Ferry and visit to Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park & Museum/atomic dome (100 min).

Now, I have realised that my JR pass covers the train to Miyajimaguchi from Hiroshima station and as well as the JR Ferry to Miyajima. On the way back to Hiroshima from Miyajimaguchi on the train, I can get off at Yokogawacho and walk to the Atomic dome. Entry to Peace museum is JPY 50 entry to Itsukushima Shrine is JPY 300..

So, effectively, I am paying almost all of my JPY 15000 for this guided tour for a guide to accompany me and provide the commentary.

Is this tour worth the money?

Or am I better off going around by myself and spend my time more leisurely at these places?

Are there any audio guides available at these two sites? or may be smartphone based apps/audio guides?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,101 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Itsukushima Shrine
Itsukushima Shrine
2,985 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park
Hiroshima Peace Memorial...
2,966 Reviews
Hiroshima, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiroshima day trip advice.

www.hiroshima-navi.or.jp/en/qa/20131.php

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiroshima day trip advice.

I think you can do this on your own.

You can read about both Miyajima and Peace Memorial Park, in any guidebook or on many websites.

The Peace Memorial Museum has an audio tour available. The Museum also has a website with a lot of information: www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/index_e2.html And there are English translations on all the signs in the museum.

Mentioned in this post
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,101 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park
2,966 Reviews
Hiroshima, Japan
Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum
5,989 Reviews
Hiroshima, Japan
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,675 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiroshima day trip advice.

Tour is in no way worth the money they are charging. Just do it yourself

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,594 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiroshima day trip advice.

Agreed!!

Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiroshima day trip advice.

There are two tourist information centers at JR Hiroshima Station.

www.hiroshima-navi.or.jp/en/information/

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
195 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiroshima day trip advice.

Absolutely NO NEED for a tour. DON'T DO IT! waste of money. We did almost exactly what you did--daytrip from Osaka seeing Miyajima and the Peace Park, museum, genbakudome etc. with three kids including a 3 year old in a stroller. It's a long day with quite a bit of hopping on and off trains/ferries/cabs, but well worth it. Don't even walk from Yokogawa station. Take a taxi. You'll be walking enough and time is at a premium. A daytrip is enough time to see everything but barely--I wish I had alotted two days for Miyajima/Hiroshima.

Mentioned in this post
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,101 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiroshima day trip advice.

It's should be as easy as visiting Liverpool and Chester from Leeds for you (or perhaps easier than that), so obviously if you know what to visit (you seem to do), your only concern is time.

The Sanyo Area is a bit too nice for a day trip out from Kyoto. I can spend a week visiting other places than Hiroshima and Miyajima as well, tasting local sake and fish, soaking in the onsen facing the sea, seeing less known but formidable historic shrines and temples, enjoying the walks through gold rice fields and forested mountains, visiting old castles preserved or in ruins.

I know that not everyone has time for those things.

Edited: 04 July 2015, 01:42
Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,101 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiroshima day trip advice.

Omishima Island in the Seto Inland Sea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn56HYGmwAY

SeaTac, Washington
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiroshima day trip advice.

Absolutely not!

Transport is simple. Read about it ahead of time.

Even a taxi from the train station to the Peace Museum and Park is only about 1,500 Yen.

You don't need the audio guide in the museum either. Everything is written in English for each display.

You should know though, that the museum is currently doing renovation work so you will not see the full exhibit. They have done a great job of setting it up so that you do see most of the usual exhibits, but after having been there several times, I noticed the difference this past year and some parts are missing.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,431 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiroshima day trip advice.

The audio guide at the museum provides some additional information not in the displays. You might not need to go through every bit of the audio guide though since each section has some very similar stories.