We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kobe subway

Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Kobe subway

Has anyone experience of the Kobe subway? Are the station signs, maps, etc. in English too? I want to go from my cruise ship to Akashi Bridge, Meriken Park and the Disaster Reduction Museum and have viewed subway maps in English on the web.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kobe subway

Yes all rail stations are in Japanese and English/Japanese Romanizations.

Alsofor the kobe subway each station has a letter and number in case you cannot remember the name, similar to subways in Tokyo.

While not every single map will be in English translation in the stations, all major signs will be.

Edited: 28 February 2010, 16:24
Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kobe subway

Thanks!

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kobe subway

If you are going to Akashi bridge then you will definitely not be going on the subway. From your ship, you will take a monorail called the Port Liner to Sannomiya Station and then exit through the ticket gate, turn right and then turn right again and go down the escalators into Sannomiya Station and at the bottom of the escalators walk straight and then you will see the machines to buy tickets for the JR TRAINS. Buy a ticket to MAIKO STATION. Off the top of my head, I think it should cost you about 220 yen or so. 280? I lived two stops from there for 6 years but moved to the other side of town in 2005 so I forget the prices. The signs have the station names written in English. Enter the ticket gates next to the machine and head to the escalators that take you up to the platform for KOBE and HIMEJI bound trains. That is the direction that you will want to go. DO NOT get on a SPECIAL RAPID SERVICE train. They say that in English on each door as it arrives so it is easy to tell them apart. Also, on the digital arrival time boards above the platform, the SPECIAL RAPID SERVICE train times are in lit up RED. You want to take the RAPID SERVICE TRAIN to MAIKO. Those train times show up on the board in ORANGE. MAIKO is 6 stops from SANNOMIYA on the RAPID SERVICE train and takes maybe 20 to minutes at the most. On the way back, take the JR TRAIN to KOBE STATION and walk to HARBOR LAND in order to get to MERIKEN PARK. It will take about 15 to 20 minutes and is the closest train station. Actually, you can get off at the next stop, MOTOMACHI and walk south from there if you go out the EAST GATE and it is about the same time but it may be more confusing going that way if you don't know where you are going. The museum is south of JR NADA station and is a bit of a hike. No need for the subway at all. The subway's KAIGAN LINE in KOBE is well-known as not being the most convenient way to travel in Kobe. The locals say that, at least.

Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kobe subway

That's brilliant. Thanks!

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kobe subway

Hey again, I was too specific for part of my post and then left you hanging with the museum. When you leave Maiko, I told you to take the JR Train back to KOBE Station. It is the same line you took from Sannomiya but you are going in opposite direction so just go to the opposite platform and take the RAPID SERVICE train again bound for KOBE. KOBE station is 4 stops from MAIKO. (TARUMI to SUMA to HYOGO and then KOBE.) If you go the MOTOMACHI way then it is one more station beyond KOBE. But I think that you can try to start from KOBE station and then walk to Motomachi Station on your way to the museum. So then you will see new things and not have to back-track. That will also take you past NANKING MACHI which is the one street that is considered Kobe's China Town. You can walk down that street in a few minutes and grab quick food from the street stalls if you are not wanting to have a sit-down lunch.

From Meriken Park to MOTOMACHI Station, you will walk north which is away from the sea and towards the mountains. It's truly a straight shot from the memorial area with the preserved earthquake damaged sidewalk. Just walk straight up from that area. You walk under a very high elevated expressway and then cross a very busy street that has maybe 8 lanes going across and continue walking straight. Motomachi is just about 8 minutes from that traffic signal on that busy street. You will walk past a Starbuck's on your left and then an Excellsior Cafe that looks like Starbuck's and then the China Town gate will be on your left. To get to MOTOMACHI STATION, continue to walk towards the mountains and you will see the elevated train lines in front of you and the east gate for Motomachi will be right there across a main street and to your left. I think that the ticket for the next ride will be 160 yen and you will go to JR NADA STATION. NADA STATION is ONLY served by the local trains so DO NOT get on the RAPID SERVICE TRAIN this time. The times for the LOCAL TRAINS are lit in green on the digital boards. NADA station is only 2 stops from MOTOMACHI. Get off at NADA and go up the escalators and turn right out of the ticket gates and go out the SOUTH EXIT. You will go down the stairs and then walk south down the main street that is going towards the sea with the mountains at your back. There is a tiny "park" which is really just a small sitting area for skate boarders and drunks so just cut through there and you will see a DOMINO's Pizza Delivery shop on your right just as you step down a few stairs from that tiny park-like place. Continue straight down the hill. You will pass a convenience store on the right and there is a 7-11 across the street on your left. Keep going down and you will come to the 8-lane busy street again that you crossed over a few kilometers down when you were near Motomachi. You cross that street and walk straight until you can no longer go straight. You will go under the elevated expressway again too. When you get to the point where you can only go right or left, go right. There is a junior high school on the corner there. And the Hyogo Prefecture Art Museum will be in front of you across the street. After you turn right, walk past the LEXUS DEALER and then the huge electronics shop called K's Denki and then a parking garage and then you will see a small mall with a McDonald's in front on the right and you are across the street from the Disaster Museum. Just cross at the crosswalk after McDonald's. It's a huge glass building and you cannot miss it.

If you are pressed for time, take a taxi back to your ship from there. It should only cost you about 1,200 yen to 1,500 yen. (2,000 yen at the most if there is traffic) Otherwise, walk back up the hill to JR NADA and take it one stop to SANNOMIYA and change to the Port Liner which is up the escalators near the EAST GATE inside of SANNOMIYA Station. It is a long walk to and from NADA STATION. It takes about 15 minutes to get to the museum. Maybe 20 if you take your time and catch red lights at each intersection.

Good luck! Sorry this is so wordy!

6. Re: Kobe subway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kobe
Recent Conversations