We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel logistics

Which Kobe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel logistics

We will be at the Kobe Portopia Hotel for 5 nights in mid-April 2011 and subsequently intend to travel for another week to possibly Hiroshima/Miyajima/Shikoku. In addition I will be researching other day trips from Kobe to be taken during the 5 day stay there. (We have previously visited Kyoto/Nara/Koya so will not be visiting those areas)

I was wondering whether the Japan Rail Pass would work for most of these trips. In addition does it work for local transit around Kobe as I believe the hotel is fairly isolated?

We would probably fly and return from Tokyo.

Thanks for any input.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel logistics

2-week JR Pass should be OK if you can fit the entire transit window within 14 days.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel logistics

Seattle now has a Delta non-stop to KIX. It would save you the expense of traveling Tokyo--Kobe (yes Delta...yuck...but the rates have been decent).

If you did that, you might want to investigate the JR West Passes, the Kansai Pass and Sanyo Pass, to see if they will meet your needs. Evidently the Sanyo Pass now includes use of the Nozomi trains!

http://www.jr-odekake.net/en/jwrp/

You can do a lot of local travel in Kobe on the JR line, but depending on your destination, may have to walk a bit farther for some places. There are two subway lines in Kobe, and I think two other train lines. But I've mostly just used the JR lines because I already have the JR pass, and walk a little extra.

A good day trip from Hiroshima is to go out to Hagi. Beautiful castle ruins, lots of history, interesting pottery kilns to visit, and even a great beach. Renting bikes is a cheap way to see the small town.

Iwakuni and Tsuwano are also good day trips from Hiroshima. Mid-April you may run into the historic festival at Iwakuni and the Yabusame festival in Tsuwano (archery from horseback).

3. Re: Travel logistics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2013, 10:18