We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

few hours in Kyoto

India
7 posts
Save Topic
few hours in Kyoto

Hi,

I am getting a chance to visit Kyoto for the first time day after tomorrow. I am planning to reach Kyoto

by Shinkansen (2 hours from shin-Yokohama) in the morning. I have to come back Kyoto station by 4 PM afternoon.

Hence by 4 PM afternoon, I want to visit the following 2 temples:

i) Kiyomizudera and ii) Kinkakuji

I am planning to take a day bus pass and travel these two places by bus route only.

Now can you please give me idea when should I attempt to reach Kyoto in the morning so that I can cover these

two places and come back Kyoto station by 4 PM evening? i.e how many hours it will take if I follow the route by bus :

i)Kyoto Station--> ii) Kiyomizudera --> iii) Kinkakuji ---> iv) Back to Kyoto Station.

Depending on the your input I will catch the train in the morning from Shin-yokohama.

Thanks you very much in advance.

Regards

Uday

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Yokohama
Yokohama
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
London
Level Contributor
458 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: few hours in Kyoto

Hi, the two temples are very far apart from eachother. The first trains out of Shin Yokohama though are at around 6am though, so you could get to Kyoto for around 8am, in which case you can easily do both. To not see some of the areas around Kiyomizudera and Gion seems like a bit of a waste. I'd personally take the first trains out and make the most of Kyoto. As Kiyomizudera is closer to the station, I'd go for that first. You should also be able to judge time a little more here.

For Kinkakuji, I'd advise taking the subway to Kitaoji subway Station and then getting a bus from there (or can be walked in about 20 minutes). I took a bus from the station last time, but due to traffic it took maybe 40 minutes to get there.

If you were really pushing the schedule, you should be able to cover the sites in 5 hours, but I'd advise getting up as early as possible and taking in the city.

Mentioned in this post
Yokohama
Yokohama
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Gion
Gion
6,227 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: few hours in Kyoto

Personally, I'd leave out Kinkakuji. It's pretty, but there is so much else to see in Kyoto and with just one day you can see a lot if you stay in the same area as Kiyomizudera. Look into visiting Ginkakuji, philosopher's walk, Heian shrine, get a good map and you can walk much of the area, taking short taxi rides when needed. For a quick trip, the bus really does take a lot of time as you will sit in traffic and make so many stops.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
India
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: few hours in Kyoto

Hi,

Thanks both of you for valuable suggestions.

One option could be drop out Kinkakuji and take a tour

around Kiyomizudera only.

Paulwoodh, as you suggested taking the subway to Kitaoji subway Station, I want to know how I go to nearest subway station from Kiyomizudera ? Which is that station? I assume you are talking about Karasuma Subway Line where I will get down at Kitaoji station. But wanted to know where I will get-in? And how to reach that station from Kiyomizudera ?

Thank all of you again, Uday

Mentioned in this post
Karasuma Kyoto Hotel
Karasuma Kyoto Hotel
625 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
London
Level Contributor
458 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: few hours in Kyoto

Hi, hope this isn't too late. Unless you want a fair walk, you would need to take a bus down to a subway station such as Gojo. There might be a few marginally closer options (I don't have my Kyoto guide here), but it will still be a fair old walk. Obiously it’s up to you but as japantravelteacher, you can probably make more from the trip from staying on the East side of Kyoto. This is what I did the first time I went to Kyoto, and it was a great day. It’s up to you though, but otherwise you’ll be spending a fair time travelling. Hope it all goes/went well.

Mentioned in this post
Gojo Guest House
Gojo Guest House
132 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
5. Re: few hours in Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 16:21