We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Kyoto Hotel

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Kyoto Hotel

Hi,

I'll be in Kyoto this November. I'll be there for five days. I'm looking for a decent hotel to use as a home base. I'm just looking for a place that has a comfortable bed and a decent bathroom/shower.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Ontario
Level Contributor
449 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Kyoto Hotel

Highly recommend the Karasuma Kyoto Hotel. It's very central, well equipped, and clean--more than "decent." There's a Starbuck's in the lobby, and in November you should pay less than $100 if you reserve online.

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Kyoto Hotel

We enjoyed the Aranvert Hotel late last year; comfortable, clean, accessible, not expensive - see TA review.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,954 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Kyoto Hotel

Several blocks west of the Aranvert is the Comfort Hotel Gojo, which is a good deal. The Comfort Hotel is about a 20 to 30 minute walk from the main train station. The Aranvert is a bit closer to the train station.

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Kyoto Hotel

This is VERY helpful. Thank you so much for your reply.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Kyoto Hotel

The Kyoto Karasuma Hotel was fantastic and a good location. We were there in February and loved it!

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Kyoto Hotel

Great! Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Kyoto Hotel

Hi, I am heading to Japan in May and just booked the Super Hotel Kyoto Shijo Kawaramachi, it is newly opened, affordable, includes breakfast, has a natural hot spring and is close to the train station

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Kyoto Hotel

Super Hotel is cheaper and newer than Kyoto Karasuma Hotel, BUT the beds are likely not as comfortable, the bathrooms are extremely small, and you might not be allowed back into your room during the daytime (due to the chain's uniform room cleaning policy). So for a "home base" it might not be the better choice. I have stayed at Kyoto Karasuma Hotel and also recommend it, as long as you don't want something fancy. I was in a twin room there, and it was relatively spacious and had a thoroughly decent bathroom (adequate size and with a large, deep tub/shower).

Depending on individual styles and tastes, the inexpensive business hotel chains such as Super Hotel are often more suitable for a style of travel that involves checking in relatively late in the day and only staying one night.

I have experienced a sore back several times after sleeping in the beds in Toyoko Inn and Super Hotel, although not everyone has this problem. (On the positive side, one of the best free business hotel breakfasts I have ever had was at a Super Hotel. It was amazing, considering the price of the room.)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Kyoto Hotel

Does the Karasuma hotel have showers over the bath? The photos I looked at seemed like there was a hand held shower, but that it wasn't high enough on the wall to stand under. The hotel sounded quite good from everyone's comments, but I couldn't handle 5 nights of having a bath rather than a shower.

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for Kyoto Hotel

You made me curious so I went and looked at the Karasuma Kyoto Hotel photos on TripAdvisor. The bathroom pictured there is much smaller than the one I had in my twin room. If my memory serves me right, the showerhead in my bathroom had two positions, with the high position being adequate to stand under (I am not terribly tall). But obviously that hotel must have more than one size/style of bathroom. If I had had the bathroom style pictured and wanted to take a shower, I would have just held the showerhead myself. Those hoses are usually quite long, and you can point the showerhead wherever you want.

If the exact positioning of the fixtures is something that is really important to you, maybe you should check with the hotel. Or book a more expensive place. I hope that you are aware that this is not a particularly fancy hotel! The reviews are good because it offers excellent value for the money. But it is not really a four-star property.