We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apple House Guest House & Bikes

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Apple House Guest House & Bikes

My wife and I (in our 50s) and our adult son recently spent a wonderful weekend in Kyoto at Apple House (applehousekyoto@gmail.com). I got to them through VRBO (vacation rentals by owner). It is a guest house in the NW area of Kyoto run by David and Hiroko James. It is an authentic Japanese style accommodation with two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, a japanese bath, laundry facilities etc. It comes with two bikes and it is easy (and inexpensive 300yen/day!) to rent another near by.

We ate at Apple House one night and took the subway into Gion for the second night.

The accommodation is clean and well kept and everything works. Maps are included. The rates are very reasonable. The house is in a quiet neighbourhood on a narrow lane fronted by a small stream. David and Hiroko are friendly and helpful: they picked us up at the subway, gave us a brief tour of the nearby resources (restaurants, bike rental, groceries, etc.) & taught us the short-cut to the house. They gave us a lift back to the subway at checkout. They live a few blocks away.

I tried to post a review but apparently this accommodation doesn't meet the criteria.

Despite the fact that it is out of the centre of town it has easy access to downtown by bike, bus, cab or subway; and many of the attractions of Kyoto are located out of the downtown anyway. Nevertheless, I would recommend it for more active or experienced travelers. I think it would be a particularly good spot for a longer stay of a week or or so; but a weekend works.

Biking around Kyoto is a great way to see the main attractions and there is a bike path along the river that plunges you right into the 'real life' of the city. For those not familiar with Japan, it is customary to ride on the sidewalks so traffic isn't a huge concern.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Apple House Guest House & Bikes

Thank you, Redtrail for your recommendation.

We (family and I) were recently looking at Apple House as an alternative to hotel accommodation.

2. Re: Apple House Guest House & Bikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2009, 07:17