We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto in half a day

manila, philippines
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kyoto in half a day

WE will be coming from Nara park in the morning, stopping at kyoto then going to tokyo for the night.

i was wondering if we could finish visiting Nijo castle, Imperial Palace and Kinkakuji between the hours of 1pm - 5pm. because i was checking the hours of operation of these places and they all close early.

also, is there a food station near the kyoto station where we will be waiting for our shinkansen to arrive at 17:56 to tokyo.

thank you.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
680 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto in half a day

If you literally run through these locations? Yes.

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto in half a day

Is there a food station near Kyoto Station?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Kyoto Station has any number of great food options (to maximise time available to you in Kyoto, I suggest you purchase a bento box and a can of beer to enjoy on the train); Kyoto Station is amazing - a tourist attraction in its own right. If you have 10 minutes to spare, catch the escalators up to the sky (I forget how many stories!) and have a wander around the garden on the roof.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto in half a day

I don't think you can do all three. Even doing two would be a bit rushed.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,598 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto in half a day

Plenty of places to eat at Kyoto Station. There are several restaurants clustered together for ramen around the NW side. There is a curry place at the south side between Shinkansen and JR platforms. There is a McDonald's outside Shinkansen (south) side, etc, etc.

For the attractions, you could run through them but you may feel very rushed. Kinkakuji is out of the way as well.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto in half a day

If you only have a limited amount of time it might be best to just pick one sight that sounds the most intersting to you.

Personally, I found Nijo Castle much more interesting than Kinkakuji. I didn't see the Imperial Palace, but also liked Kiyomizudera - and there's a shopping street on the way up there as well.

manila, philippines
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyoto in half a day

thank you all for the feedback.

it's not like i'm gonna be going to japan every year so i want to make the most of our trip. how about if we do nara in the morning and osaka aquarium in the afternoon and kyoto in one day. will this work?

sammyfloyd, i find your insights useful. what other osaka attractions can we visit in the afternoon after nara but we leave for tokyo on the same day.train leaves 19:13 and 19:40.

also can you eat inside the train? or the train stations? somebody suggested buying a bento box and eating on the train station?

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kyoto in half a day

You can certainly eat and drink on the long distance trains. They often have someone selling food and drinks from a trolley that is wheeled through the carriages (with attendants entertaining foreigners with their etiquette - entering the carriage they bow, leaving the carriage they turn around and bow!). I only sugguest you purchase your bento box (and/or pastries, or whatever) at Kyoto Station because the selection will be greater and you will be guaranteed of being able to secure a dinner. There are several floors of Japanese fast food outlets (not McDonalds) and restaurants about 7 ot 8 stories up the escalators to the sky at Kyoto station.

If you can spend a whole day in Kyoto, and half another day in Nara, you'll find the visit far more rewarding.

manila, philippines
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kyoto in half a day

thank you 60yoaussie :D are you really 60yo? my mom and dad who will be going to the trip with me are also 60yo. :D

is it hard for you with all the walking around?

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kyoto in half a day

Yes, I'm actually 61 and Mrs is 58. Walking is the only way to see places - you can go where you want, linger when you want, get occasionally "lost". Kyoto is basically flat - we walked from the railway station, through the eastern side of the city, up and over the mountain with the 'good luck' symbol on it (and got 'lost' - being advised by other walkers which track to take to a major temple, which would be on our way back), then basically back along the Philosophers Walk in one day. Kyoto has a faantastic walks brochure - available from JNTO and presumably at tourist information centres in the city.

10. Re: Kyoto in half a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2009, 05:53