We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2D1N in Kyoto

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Topic
2D1N in Kyoto

am planning the following for a 2D1N stay in Kyoto:

planned accomodation: Toyoko Inn Kyoto Gojo-Karasuma (3 minutes walk from the No.2 exit of Gojo station on the subway Karasuma Line; 15 minutes walk from JR Kyoto Station.)

Day 1:

- Arashiyama (any suggestion on which part to explore?)

- Kinkaku-ji temple (Golden Pavilion)

- Explore Gion at night for Geisha spotting

Day 2:

- Onsen in Shiga (any specific onsen recommendations?)

- Kyoto Imperial Palace and lunch around it,

- Kiyomizu temple, and its surrounding of side lanes & shops to Yasaka shrine, Nishiki food street.

- Path of Philosophy - Nanzenji Temple to Gingakuji (Silver Pavilion)

- Zen temple Kenninji in Gion Kyoto

- Night time - head to Osaka

Is this plan trip feasible? Am i over-stretching myself?

many thanks for advice.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 2D1N in Kyoto

wow whitefluffy...you are almost as good as a tour guide yourself...

thank you very much as well as the rest of the forummers here..

btw, i feel Kyoto is surely worth another night stay...so that on the 3rd morning, i can explore Kyoto Imperial Palace and the 500-yr old soba shop nearby..

btw how you guys think abt Ryokan Shimuzu?

It has quite good reviews on the net..

i am contemplating between this Ryokan agst Toyoko Inn, even though the former is abt 1.5 times more expensive...

do you know if this Ryokan truly provides a good experience?

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: 2D1N in Kyoto

As for Shimizu ryokan, yes, I've also seen many good reviews here, including the forum as below. seems quite recommendable for your traditional Japan experience! Well, extending into the 3rd day sounds great! Enjoy your Kyoto! :- yeah, I'm actually doing a tour guide in Kyoto as volunteer on weekend. just recommended the guide course from my usual walking tip! :- as I told you, I like your choice, it's almost all you must see! As final, Don't miss "Gion Shirakawa" path, with river view near from small Tatsumi shrine. That's KYOTO! ^^

about Shimizu ryokan

tripadvisor.com/…2522049

Vancouver
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 2D1N in Kyoto

We have just returned from our Tokyo-Kyoto trip. We enjoyed our walk around the Sannen-zaka and Ninen-zaka and Ishibei-koji outside the Kiyomizu temple area. We think that is one of the most charming, quaint places of Kyoto. Also, we found the most unusual shrine, Tainai-meguri, at the left of the Kiyomozi temple ticket office. We had a strange yet entertaining walk through an underground tunnel in complete darkness to a wishing rock. (It was meant to be the womb of Daizuigu Bosatsu.)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: 2D1N in Kyoto

cannuck..i am certain you have enjoyed ur trip...

how's the H1N1 situation in west japan?

i am planning my trip to Kyoto and osaka in mid Aug...

whitefluffy...

just wondering, other than Gion corner which i can venture to at night, where else can i go?

Is the philosopher path from Nanzenji- Ginkakuji temple accessible at night?

Also you mentioned not to miss out the Gion Shirakawa path, is that accessible at night too?

thanks

Vancouver
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 2D1N in Kyoto

I think the local were scared because the Japanese health minister went on the news advising people to wear masks and the stores sold out masks within minutes, etc. I don't know whether the health minister's advice was based on medical research, since the North American health authorities do not think masks are effective.

Just go and enjoy yourself. Have a great trip!

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: 2D1N in Kyoto

foofam77,

I've guided an Italian couple in Kyoto yesterday, yeah, less tourists actually, but the people are still enjoying a tour in Kyoto. I've seen many Japanese with mask, but foreign people without it. I was of course walking around with mask all day, and bought extra mask for the couple.

Of course there're no guarantee about mask to protect the flue by 100%, but it's definitely clear that you can at least avoid aerial infection, better than without mask, if there's any other choice to visit there. I'm planning to visit Saihoji temple today, very famous temple for its beautiful moss scenery.

>> just wondering, other than Gion corner which i can venture to at night, where else can i go?

In Spring and Autumn, many Temples will have an amazing Night Light-Up opening even at night like by 21:00, because of Sakura and Momiji viewing. But in usual season, around 18:00 to 19:00, the most beautiful time in Gion Hanamikoji/Shirakawa maybe almost the final attraction... both for your hungry stomack and energy... :- Or, you can try something like a special reservation about dinner with Maiko-san's performance at night. maybe around 50000yen to 60000yen... I don't know the detail price/performance, but maybe depending on the company...

>> Is the philosopher path from Nanzenji- Ginkakuji temple accessible at night?

Yeah, philosopher path is all the time accessible, but the stores/restaurants along the path are closing around by 17:00 to 18:00.

>>Also you mentioned not to miss out the Gion Shirakawa path, is that accessible at night too?

all the time accessible, and especially at night, it's most beautiful at Gion Hanamikoji/Shirakawa. Nice matching with a beautiful sunset.

Thanks!

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: 2D1N in Kyoto

You can add "Onsen" experience to your venture at night if you're interested. In Kyoto, no authentic Onsen other than Arashiyama area, but I recommend "Funaoka Onsen" in north area of Kyoto. This is more than a public bath, but why so special is the amazing carvings on the ceiling and walls of the changing rooms. Those beautiful architecture is because it used to be a traditional Ryokan, built in 1922.

There is also a sauna, several types of baths, and a small outdoor bath with a rock garden (rotenburo: open air bath). Entrance fee : 340 yens. Open Hours: 3pm-25am.(from 8am-25am on Sunday, Holidays)

Access: 5min walk from Senbon-Kuramaguchi bus stop. Take subway toward Kitaoji, and then, take bus 206 toward Senbon-Kuramaguchi. Phone 075 441 3735

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: 2D1N in Kyoto

hi i am back again..with hope of perfecting my Kyoto trip..after much more research..i have zoomed down to the places i really want to visit in Kyoto:

1st day (reach Kyoto ard 12pm)

i) take to JR Uji to visit Byodin Temple

(may i know from JR Uji station, how to head towards Byodin?)

ii) from JR Uji to JR Inari to visit Fushmi Inari Shrine

iii) from JR Inari back to Kyoto to Gion Corner

(may i know what's the best way to reach Gion Corner?)

2nd day:

i) Arashiyama

ii) Tenryuji temple

iii) Togetsukyo Bridge

iv) Bamboo grove

v) Kinkakuji temple

( i know from Arashiyama , i shd take Keifuku (Randen) train from to Katabira no Tsuji station and then, take until Kitano Hakubai-cho station.

From Kitano Hakubai-cho station, what bus shd i take to go to Kinkakuji (Gold Pavilion) and Ryoanji area? which bus stop shd i stop at?)

vi)Ryoanji temple

vii) Shijo street at night

3rd day:

i) Sanjusangendo Temple

(from Gojo Karusama station, may i know which bus takes me to Sanjusangendo Temple? Which bus stop shd i stop at?)

ii) Kiyomizu Temple

(may i know which bus takes me from Sanjusangendo Temple to Kiyomizu? Which bus stop shd i stop at?)

iii) walk over to Kenninji Temple from Kiyomizu Temple

iv) After Kenninji, walk along Shijo street abd "Gion Shirakawa" path

thank you very much all in advance for your advice..

Nishinomiya, Japan
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 2D1N in Kyoto

-may i know from JR Uji station, how to head towards Byodin?

Really easy. Exit from JR Uji station and head towards the river. Once you get there do not cross the bridge, but walk along the road that parallels the river going towards the mountains. You'll end up there. There are signs in English along the way.

A year ago I picked up a free hiking/walking map at JR Uji station that's in Japanese and English--perhaps in Korean and Chinese too. That should have Byodin marked on it.

Also remember that the main hall of Byodin closes at 4:10. I've never been because we always are too slow getting to Uji and hanging around there. The gardens are open till 5:30.

In Uji, one of my favorite cities I might add, there's a great green tea cafe called Nakamura Tokichi. They have a store on the road heading to Byodin and one near Uji station. Really great green tea based menu. Here's a little blog post I wrote about them.

…blogspot.com/2009/06/nakamura-tokichi.html

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: 2D1N in Kyoto

Hello, again! :)

iii) from JR Inari back to Kyoto to Gion Corner

(may i know what's the best way to reach Gion Corner?)

>> At JR Tofukuji station, you can change into Keihan line, very close just like a few minutes platform by platform. The two line has a connection at Tofukuji station. and then, you can get off Shijo Keihan station. a few minutes walk to Gion corner.

If you expect Maiko-san performance experience, "Gion Hatanaka" (famous tea house) will be great. You can book through internet.

2nd day:

>> You can get off Ryoanji temple station after changed at Katabira no Tsuji station before Kinkakuji. Ryoanji is around 7 minutes walk. and then, take bus or 20 minutes walk until Kinkakuji.

3rd day:

>> you can practice with this map how to get there. there are always several choice even go to the same place. just depending on which bus comes first or so. :)

…kyoto.lg.jp/kotsu/…bus_navi_en200801.pdf

For Kiyomizu temple area, you can get off at Gojozaka. and then, you can take "chawanzaka (chinese ceramics)" street. a milder slope up to the top than Kiyomizu zaka. and then, do not miss to take a beautiful shot of Yasaka pagoda picture! on the way down to Nene's path. :)

For more detail, I'm writing here. (Kyoto Tour Itinerary "Must to Visit")

http://kyotovisitors.blogspot.com/