We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

green tea in kyoto

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Topic
green tea in kyoto

understand that green tea from kyoto is very famous...

any recommendations on the locations to get kyoto green tea?

at this juncture, i do not what would be the price range...

thanks

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: green tea in kyoto

If you go to Nishiki Market you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,129 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: green tea in kyoto

In addition to Nishiki Market and department stores, you'll find many tea shops on busy streets, such as Shijo, Kawaramachi, and Shinkyogoku.

What you want is "Uji-cha," very famous and high quality tea grown in Uji area of Kyoto. The price ranges widely--you should be able get some at reasonable price.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,708 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: green tea in kyoto

Typical prices:

www.ippodo-tea.co.jp/en/price/index.html

www.marukyu-koyamaen.co.jp/english/top.html

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: green tea in kyoto

so if uji tea is famous, shd it be cheaper if i buy it from uji itself?

any recommended shop in uji?

thanks

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
634 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: green tea in kyoto

I highly reccomentd you to visit to Tsujiri (cafe of grrentea sweet/dessert). yes $14 is expensive for an Icecream parfait. or try soft cream ($3-4) on the entrance of this shop.

Map (for main shop near Yasaka shrine); www.giontsujiri.co.jp/saryo/shop_3.html#map1

a branch is in Isetan department store at Kyoto station.

Menu; www.giontsujiri.co.jp/saryo/gentei/index.html

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,129 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: green tea in kyoto

Uji-cha is not cheaper when you buy in Uji. Strangely enough, there aren't many tea shops in Uji anyway.

As mentioned above, Tsujiri's Uji ice cream parfait is to dye for!

If you see a long line near Shijo and Hanamikoji Dori, that's the place.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
330 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: green tea in kyoto

Uji, a town about 20 minute train ride from Kyoto Station, is very famous for its tea. You can smell the fragrance of tea when you walk on omotesando. There are a few tea shops in front of Byodoin: Mazuda, Tsuen, Akamonchaya etc. Just to name a few.

Other good places to look are depa chika (department store basement) like Isetan at Kyoto Station or Daimaru, Hankyu around Shijo Kawaramachi area. Of course Nishiki market is also worth a visit if you have time. Supermarkets offer some inexpensive packets should you want to experiment.

The best thing to do is to sample them as you go along. Price varies greatly and largely depends on the quality of the tea. It can range anywhere from 1000 yen per 100 g to 8000 yen per 100 g. I would ask for recommendations from the store owners. Sen cha, matcha (green powdered tea used in tea ceremony), loose leave green tea (differences in when the tea leaves are picked)... There are so many of them and it really depends on your taste.

Since we are on the subject of tea, I would strongly recommend attending a tea ceremony while you are in Kyoto. You would have a better appreciation of the art and tea.

Have loads of fun tea-shopping1

Gigi

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: green tea in kyoto

I haven't figured out the tea ceremony yet. It's not about the tea, that's about all I can figure out so far.

9. Re: green tea in kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2009, 06:22