We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day non consecutive rail pass - does this exist?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
9 posts
Save Topic
3 day non consecutive rail pass - does this exist?

Hi everyone,

I need some help with understanding the JR East and West Rail system. I apologise in advance for being so dense.

OK, If I buy the JR East rail pass - 4 day non-consecutive. This means I can use the railway lines as follows:

Case 1:

Travel from Tokyo to Nagoya and then onto the Ski fields in Nozawa Onsen. Right? And that means I can then also travel by rail from Nagoya to Aichi Prefecture? Is this correct?

Case 2:

But If I want to travel from Kyoto to Aichi Prefecture, (which is in Nagoya), then I can't use this JR East rail pass? I have to buy either a single or return rail ticket from Kyoto to Aichi? Is there any pass which I can buy to save money which will help me travel from Kyoto to Aichi?

Does anyone know?

Also is my assumption of Case 1 correct?

And is there any pass I can buy for Case 2?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Kat_Mit

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 3 day non consecutive rail pass - does this exist?

Hi.

Nagano Airport is more convenient than Kansai APT to go to Toyohashi (1,590 yen).

There is a highway bus from Hamamatsu and Nagoya to Kyoto (2,500 yen+).

Taking regular trains, without Shinkansen won't bad.

It is not the same platform but the same station. It's not hard. You can also use a luggage forwarding service (charged) from airport, hotel, and/or friend house.

BEST IS: You shoud ask your friend how to get Kyoto; and also ask "Shinkansen + hotel" packages, which is good deal. Japanese can't buy JR PASS, a VERY SPECIAL discount ticket; so here we have many other budget ways (tours and packages) to go to Kyoto.

Just other different information:

Tahara is a little town on Irako cape. The area is very scenic there. I have ever driven through the peninsula before via Toyohashi from Tokyo. There is a ship to Toba in Mie Prefecture from Irako Misaki (Cape) in Tahara city (1,500 yen). I visited Ise-Shima, Pearl Road region in Ki Peninsula. Why don't you think for visiting Ise shrine, Futami-Iwa, Mikimoto Pearl Museum, Ago-wan, etc. in addition to your trip?? When you get to Mie Prefecture, there are private company rails get you to Kansai regions.

Sydney
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: 3 day non consecutive rail pass - does this exist?

Hi JuneChan san

Thanks so much for that! I'm now relieved that the train changes won't be that difficult. I am going from Kyoto to Toyohashi. On my return from Kyoto to Toyohashi, I think I will take the shinkansen, as I need to go to Mount Koya directly from Tahara.

I've just bought a guide book - "Japan by rail". Hopefully that will help me out as well. And I didn't know that there were hotel and rail packages. That's great. I'll go check them out as well.

Thank you also for the information on what to see and do in Tahara. I will definitely try and visit some of those places with my friend. You have been very helpful.

Thanks again.

13. Re: 3 day non consecutive rail pass - does this exist?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 05:19