We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us find the MONTEREY Hotel, please!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help us find the MONTEREY Hotel, please!

We're reasonably adept with Google Earth, and when we plug in the address given on the Monterey Hotel website:

3 Jyo Minami Karasuma-dori N

Google Earth takes us to a very narrow side street blocks from 367. Though the building is supposed to be on Road 367 "adjacent to the Imperial Palace" we've done street view up and down and found nothing that looks like the Monterey photo at

…japanican.com/en/img/monterey_kyoto_3.jpg

We've evidently failed the Kyoto IQ test. Can you help us find this place?

Thanks

Yokohama
Level Contributor
857 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us find the MONTEREY Hotel, please!

Umm, Google earth is someting strange.

Try "ホテルモントレ京都" ; hotel name in Japanese, or

"京都市中京区烏丸通三条南" ; hotel address in Japanese.

I can find with above word.

Hotel Mnterey is on R367, you are right!

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us find the MONTEREY Hotel, please!

Google maps is wrong.

I have pinpointed the correct hotel location for you on this screenshot:

…imageshack.us/img20/5945/googlemapsa.jpg

From the hotel website:

hotelmonterey.co.jp/cgi-bin/…

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us find the MONTEREY Hotel, please!

Also as mentioned if you can enter the japanese name : ホテルモントレ京都 (copy and paste) into google maps you'll get the correct area.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us find the MONTEREY Hotel, please!

THANK YOU

That did it! Google was very wrong and confusing.

We'll arrive from Tokyo at the Kyoto Station, and then hike north on the 367 past the Kyoto Tower to the hotel - that's only 2.5km. We're old, but walk a lot and only use one wheeled bag each.

We are now oriented.

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us find the MONTEREY Hotel, please!

It's certainly walkable (if it's not too hot or rainy), but if it were me, I'd save my feet for more enjoyable walks in Kyoto. That stretch is not terribly interesting, in my opinion.

I walk a lot, too, and even though I never have sore feet in the U.S. even when I walk for miles on pavement, for some reason my feet always get sore in Japan. I think it may be the greater use of really hard materials (i.e., stone) in steps and walkways and also the fair number of stairways you inevitably have to negotiate. So I have learned to lower my expectations for how many miles a day I can walk in Japan. Applying calculated conservation methods (take transit when practical, take escalators over stairs when available, don't walk too briskly and NEVER run up stone steps to catch a train, etc.) has led to more enjoyable Japan trips for me.

6. Re: Help us find the MONTEREY Hotel, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2010, 06:21