We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryokan recommendations with toddlers?

orlando, florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ryokan recommendations with toddlers?

I'm going to be in Kyoto in December with my husband and 18 month old daughter. After reading reviews on this website, I tried to make a reservation at Ryokan Shimizu but got the response that they don't accept small children. We'll be there for a few days and would probably like an en suite shower/toilet, as well as a place ideally 10,000 yen per night or less, and one that's not too noisy at curfew. I had originally thought that being near the train station might be good but I'm open to other areas of town as well, as long as it's not too hard to get there with luggage/toddler/etc. Does anybody have family-friendly recommendations in this price range?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryokan recommendations with toddlers?

I don't think you will find it at under 10,000 Y per night, assuming you mean for the whole room and not per person. You can barely get a business hotel for 2 people for under 8,000 Y

orlando, florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryokan recommendations with toddlers?

The rate we were quoted for Shimizu was 10,000 per night for December - it's on their website, and it seems highly rated on this site. We'll certainly pay more if there's nothing else available, but that's the range we were hoping for.

orlando, florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryokan recommendations with toddlers?

oh, and it was for two people - 5,000 each...

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryokan recommendations with toddlers?

There is a set of inns in Kyoto mostly, who call themselves Ryokan, but are not the traditionally expensive, eloquent service, amazing food Ryokan that we usually know about. They are inns, some with private bath and toilet, others with facilities "down the hall" and shared with other guests, and perhaps even the family/owners. You can find many of them listed on the Welcome Inn/ITCJ web site: http://www.itcj.or.jp/

Choose "WIRC Services" link on that page.

One such place that you should find on this page is the Matsubaya Ryokan. I stayed there for many years in a row, and they have recently done a total remodel, so I haven't seen the remodel, but it looks wonderful.

orlando, florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryokan recommendations with toddlers?

Thanks for the tips - after mulling it over for the week and doing a lot of internet research, I booked a room at Matsubaya. They were very gracious and replied promptly to my emails. I'll post a review when we get back!

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryokan recommendations with toddlers?

Oh do please post a review. I very much want to know what this place is like now. I'm thinking about staying there this next summer.

Thanks!

7. Re: Ryokan recommendations with toddlers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2010, 05:16