We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okura or Granvia?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vai
southern cal
Level Contributor
316 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Okura or Granvia?

We'll be in Kyoto for only 1 day in early April. Have been given quotes by both Okura and Granvia for a standard non-smoking double room for basically the same price.

Our question is: for location and quality, which is the better choice?

We'll arrive around 11am via train from Kobe and will have to depart around 2 pm the following day. We'd like to see some of the usual tourist venues and also take in the Gion. A simple but good dinner would be nice.

We'll have only light hand luggage so we're easy regarding transfers on public transport.

Thanks, vai

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okura or Granvia?

The Granvia is right inside Kyoto Station so access point wise, you can't beat that.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,364 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okura or Granvia?

I suggest Granvia as well, especially given the limited amount of time you have.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Okura or Granvia?

I would go Granvia, but its a JR station hotel, so nothing special. The station itself is spectacular, a stunning design by Hiroshi Hara.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Okura or Granvia?

It is some time since I stayed at the Granvia but I thought it was excellent. Haven't gone back because I like a quieter location (My room at the Granvia was amazingly quiet. It is the area that is busy and noisy) but If I was in Kyoto for one day I would certainly stay there. Don't know the Okura.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,664 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Okura or Granvia?

They are both excellent. The Granvia is nothing like the old Tokyo Station Hotel, which was a typical JR station hotel--it's much more elegant and stylish.

Location-wise, you can't beat the Granvia.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Okura or Granvia?

I guess I'm about to confuse the issue......after many years of annual stays at the Granvia, last year I stayed in the Okura. It was a beautiful hotel, no complaints at all. It is also a lot closer to some of the sites to visit. So I'm just thinking that maybe with such a short time to stay in Kyoto, you might enjoy going directly to the Okura via taxi, and then just doing a few short taxi rides and walking from there. There is a subway station in the basement of the Okura hotel, so it's quicker to access than the subway in the Granvia.

The Granvia is also a beautiful, first rate hotel, with lots of close by food options, taxis waiting in front, but it will take you longer to get out to the site seeing places you plan to visit.

Just another way to look at it!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,364 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Okura or Granvia?

The good thing about Granvia is you can just take the train to Kyoto station, drop off your bags and start sightseeing right away. Since the hotel is right at the station, you never have to worry about finding lockers at the station for luggage after you check-out.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Okura or Granvia?

The Granvia is an excellent hotel, not sure about it being Nothing Special. While many JR station hotels are nothing great, no more then regular business hotels, the Granvia is a major exception.

9. Re: Okura or Granvia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2010, 05:18