We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

Miami
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Topic
Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

Hi-

We areticketed to travel to Japan on 3-27-10 and will be in Tokyo thru 4/2. Was planning to spend a week in Kyoto from 4-2-through 4-9.

Have spent the entire day trying to locate accommodations under

$200 a night in Kyoto with no success. Have tried every website from JNTO, Expedia, hotels.com, Agora, Asiahotels.com, etc. Can anyone recommend a small well located hotel or even a guest house with western accommodations (preferably within walking distance from the JR station) that is not listed in websites and may have availability.? Also has anyone heard of or stayed at the Ark Hotel in Kyoto, the only place that had availability.... but will

have to cancel my Tokyo reservations, etc....what a mess!

I am exhausted, but would love to wake up tomorrow to find a

positive lead......

Also, are there Shinkasen that go straight from Narita to Kyoto or must we change trains in Tokyo?

Thanks a million for any suggestions you may have for me!

SuzetteMiami

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

6 nights may be too long in Kyoto, the premium tourist town during the busy season. You might consider staying a few days in Osaka/Shin-Osaka for easy commute to Kyoto or for going to other places.

Having said that, you might try this place, which rate is per room, not pp, & free bf.

http://www.hotel-village.jp/kyoto/eng/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

First of all, the shinkansen does not go to Narita. You will have to catch the Narita Express to Tokyo station and catch a shinkansen from there.

You are trying to book for the most popluar time in Kyoto, co-inciding with sakura season. Most places will have booked out months ago but there are always cancellations so you could keep trying.

I think it's fair to say that a well located hotel with western accommodation would have presence of the interent, either through its own website or through booking agents. And likely booked up well in advance, Others may have suggestion though.

amazinga's suggestion to look in Osaka or other nearby places is a good one. It's not at all far to Kyoto from there.

I know how frustrating and demoralising it is to keep hitting that 'no vacancy' thing. but something always turns up. Would it be such a big deal to cancel your Tokyo bookings and reschedule? It will be lots easier to find somewhere inTokyo

Good luck - may see you somewhere in Kyoto!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

If you are willing to stay in a Japanese-style ryokan with a shared bathroom, there is one listing left on the Rakuten Travel website that meets your criteria. (Most of the listings are for partial availability, which means they don't have a vacancy for all the days you want.) Raktuen is a large and reliable company.

Otherwise, you should probably commute from Osaka.

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

$200 a night is not exactly first class or second class hotels. I tried to find a room in lower class local hotels with smaller rooms in Kyoto .

Tried to see APA hotels twin rate is about $190. they have three APA hotels in Kyoto. Difficult. All the rooms are fully booked from April 2 through 9th. I am sorry about that.

I will also recommend you to commute from Osaka. it is about a half hour from Osaka to Kyoto via surface trains, but not Shinkansen.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

I suspect that some hotels have vacancies that they do not release to agents as they hope to get direct bookings and avoid paying commission. I had a similar problem at peak cherry blossom time a few years ago and booked in Osaka, where hotels are, in any case, much better value. When I actually arrived in Kyoto I had no difficulty finding a hotel. I assume you have tried booking direct with hotels?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

Another thought. At the moment no one has any accurate idea of the date of the cherry blossom. Therefore some people block book for two weeks or so, with no intention of actually staying for that length of time. When the dates become clearer they will simply cancel the days they don't want. In recent years the bloom has tended to be late March rather than early April, so it could well be that plenty of rooms will be released for the period you want but this won't happen until a week or so before the bloom. The Shinkansen takes only 14 minutes from Shin Osaka to Kyoto.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

I am having difficulty finding accommodation in Kyoto as well in that period. Am I understanding correctly that it is only half an hour by train from Osaka? How often do the train come? And can the JR Pass be used?

If so, I will be staying in Osaka.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

I am having difficulty finding accommodation in Kyoto as well in that period. Am I understanding correctly that it is only half an hour by train from Osaka? How often do the train come? And can the JR Pass be used?

If so, I will be staying in Osaka.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

This is probably a silly question, but are all trains beginning with JR available on the JR Pass? With the sole exception being the Nozomi(sp?) ?

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,327 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Desperately need available accomodations in Kyoto

I did some checking on Japanese websites and could only find business hotels in your price range. I found one in Arashiyama near Hankyu Arashiyama station which is not near JR Arashiyama station. It's a pretty area and will be quiet with zero night life though. I guess it depends on what you want to experience. Staying in Osaka would be a totally different experience. Do you want quiet and peaceful or hustle and bustle??? The Business Hotel Arashiyama opened in 2008 and has good reviews from people who have stayed there. The total cost for 7 nights would be 78,200 yen which is about 800 dollars for the whole stay. Business hotels are no frills but usually clean and good enough. I'm pretty picky and would not suggest a sketchy looking place.

You would have 2 single beds and a private bathroom. It may actually be nice to be there when the day-trip people leave in the afternoon so then you can experience Kyoto when it is less crowded. And you could go out in downtown Kyoto at night and just return to a quiet place after dinner/drinks. It's closer than going back to Osaka.

Good luck...