We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miyako Odori dance

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Miyako Odori dance

We are planning to see Miyako Odori(Dance of tth Capital) dance performance in Kyoto on the 28th or 29th of April...

Do we need a reservation ahead of time or is it fine to purchase the tickets on the day of the performance?

Thanks!

nihon
Level Contributor
529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Miyako Odori dance

what is this "Miyako Odori" dance?

although I lived in Nanzen-ji area for 6 years, I Never heard of it from local Kyotoites.

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
914 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miyako Odori dance

This is the dance:

www.miyako-odori.jp/miyakoodori/english.html

seattle
Level Contributor
649 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miyako Odori dance

We went during a visit to Kyoto in 2008 and enjoyed it very much. I emailed our hotel before we left the U.S. and asked them to make reservations, which they did. We selected the day and time of performance, but the hotel could only offer reservations for the Special Class tickets, which were Y4300 at the time. That was fine with us, and the price included a tea ceremony and nice souvenir dessert plates that we still have. We picked up the tickets when we checked in at the hotel and paid for them in cash (at their request).

The theater was packed, and, although the website states that tickets are available for walkup purchase, I suspect that they may be difficult to obtain on the day of performance. That's only an opinion, but, if going again, I would still purchase in advance to avoid any problems.

nihon
Level Contributor
529 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Miyako Odori dance

I see.

i wonder if this is one of those things that are more famous among tourits than among locals. things related to geisha and ninja

somewhere in
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miyako Odori dance

I just came back from Kyoto yesterday and absolutely LOVED the Miyako Odori!!! Of all the things we visited and saw in Kyoto, the Miyako Odori was my favorite!

I recommend you get your tickets now through your hotel.

We went on Monday (April 5). I reserved tickets through our hotel. It was very easy. They charged the tickets to our room and took care of everything. They will ask you whether you will want Special Class (4500Y), First Class (4000Y) or Second Class (2000Y). When I reserved our tickets, all that was available was Special and First Class. I reserved the tickets about three weeks ago. You can wait until the day of the Miyako Odori, however, you will need to show up early and wait in a long line. We arrived at 10am to ensure we knew where it was and saw a line of Japanese tourists buying up the last tickets. The shows run 1230, 1400, 1530 and 1650. The special class ticket includes a tea ceremony and opportunity to stroll the gardens and small kimono museum (about 4 kimono in a room). I highly recommend it. You are allowed to take pictures of the Maiko serving in the tea ceremony but not in the Miyako Odori. You receive a cup of green tea, a Japanese tea dessert, and a plate souvenir. Young children are allowed to attend and are free if they sit in your lap. Dress was smart casual for the majority of attendees. For men, nice slacks and button down shirt or jeans with a sports coat. For women, nice slacks and a nice shirt. There were a few tourists that showed up in T-shirts and jeans. The program costs 600Y and is nice to explain to you what you are watching since the songs are in Japanese. This website helps explain everything: www.miyako-odori.jp/miyakoodori/english.html

Hope this helps.

Canberra
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Miyako Odori dance

There are several odori on at this time of year (see http://www.jal.com/world/en/guidetojapan/city_information/uky/), so you won't want for opportunities to see a performance.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miyako Odori dance

Miyako Odori isn't just for tourists. On my first visit to Japan in 1982, my Kyoto homestay family took me to the Miyako Odori. My homestay mother was (still is) a kimono designer with close ties to the geisha communities of Kyoto, and the family attended the Miyako Odori every year. She even got me "backstage" access to meet some of her geisha clients. I have a photo of me with a maiko in full kimono--wearing Mickey Mouse slippers!

chicago
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miyako Odori dance

Thank you for the informative answers... We will try to reserve the tickets ahead of time through our hotel.

North England
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Miyako Odori dance

Hi, I'm going to Japan in May and an in Kyoto from May 4th-7th. Having googled the Miyako Odori dance it seems to only be on in April - can anyone suggest an alternative form of traditional dance/theater that is likley to be on in May? ..or where i can find information on options?

thanks

Canberra
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Miyako Odori dance

The Kamogawa Odori is on in May. See the link in my post above or google 'Kamogawa Odori' for more information.