We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

Hello friends. We are staying at the hotel monterey kyoto for 5 nights and one of the days we want to see arashiyama. Is it feasible to walk to otaji nenbutsuji, check it out, take many photos, then walk/taxi back and have time really enjoy arashiyama?? We want to walk through the bamboo forest there, see some temples, and possibly the monkey park. Getting back to kyoto city late is no problem at all. Also, can anyone advise me on the walking route to otaji. It looks pretty easy on google maps. Anything else worth seeing during this walk??? Thanks!! 2 weeks from right now I will be in the air to osaka!

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

My usual tour starts at Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple. It's too bad that it has been discovered. It used to be empty and free to enter. And the buildings were opened all day every day but now they are all locked and closed up when I am there. But you can still see the statues as they are all outside. I usually take a taxi from JR Saga Arashiyama station to Otagi Nenbutsu-ji and then walk down from there. It only takes a half day because we can make it down to the river for lunch and then take the train to Kinkaku-ji in the afternoon. You will have time for at least 3 temples in Arashiyama and the bamboo forest path.

Edited: 29 September 2010, 12:19
Providence, RI
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

thank you kobekeith..... so i can take a cab to Otaji-nen then walk back around arashiyama all in half a day?

Which train goes to kinkakuji by the way? We just might do that also in the same day :) :) :)

Jason

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

Yeah, from JR Saga Arashiyama, it usually will cost me about 800 to 900 yen for the taxi up to Otagi Nenbutsu-ji Temple. Exit on the the north side of the station and take a taxi from that side, not the south side where all of the people are heading. It gets you closer to the main street and the taxi doesn't have to go around the train tracks to get going. It keeps the cost down a little.

You will have plenty of time to see that temple plus another 2. I suggest that you go into Tenryu-ji Temple as well. It's a UNESCO world cultural heritage designated site or whatever they call them. You can eat lunch at a nice place on the Hozu River and then make your way over to the KEIFUKU TRAIN to get to Kinkaku-ji.

brisbane
Level Contributor
118 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

Hi all,

I just got back from Kyoto and as kobekeith suggested, I took a taxi to Otagi Nenbutsuji from Saga Arashiyama station. It was very cheap, only about 800yen.

I had planned to walk down from the temple to the bamboo grove etc, but the weather was so incredibly hot, and the little roads on the way up to the temple seemed a bit confusing, so I ended up getting a taxi back down as well. It was easy and saved a lot of time.

Have a great time, and make sure to stop at the lovely little shops alongside the road just before you get to the temple. Beautiful pottery and crafts unlike anything else I saw on the trip.

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

It's true. It does get confusing making your way down from there. I sometimes give a detailed description of how to get down but it is very long and I point out every spot along the way so I don't post it on the forum. Either way, that temple is a great spot.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

On google maps, the roads look narrow and not too pedestrian friendly. From saga arash station is it not as scary as it looks??

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

No, no, no... not scary at all. The taxi will take you up a busy street but when you go down, you will take a narrow street below that main one. It is quiet and very peaceful. Any cars that pass thru (mostly taxis) will have to be going pretty slow in order to get thru the narrow passage. The streets are lined with nice little shops, restaurants and cafes. At the beginning of the hill as you go down, you will pass by old style thatched roof houses. Not at all a scary way to go down.

brisbane
Level Contributor
118 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

I agree, it's not scary at all. When I was there I saw a lot of people walking down from the station and temple.

But it was a bit too hot for my liking so I took the easy way out and caught a taxi.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

if you google map directions, it has you walking on numbered roads that look pretty main road looking. Are they by chance numbered? on google they have normal looking numbers. are they in japanese and english is basically what im asking :-p

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kyoto to otaji.nenbutsuji

I have honestly never noticed any road signs ever. And I go there at least once a month and sometimes more than that when I have back to back guests to guide around. The Kyoto City map with walking tours outlined in red are very good. You can get them at the information desk inside of JR Kyoto station. They are better than any of the maps I have seen pieced together on different pages inside of travel books for Kyoto. It's super easy. I will try to make some time to send you a private message with a detailed description of what to look for and when to turn. It will be long but when I have done this for people in the past, they said that my details were spot-on and they never used a map. It just takes me a while to do it. When are you coming???