We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temples night-time light-up

Singapore
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Temples night-time light-up

Hello

Which temples will open up for night-time visiting (for the light-up), and what are the dates/typical hours? I'm planning to include some night-time visiting, seeing that it'll get dark after about 4pm in late Nov/early Dec

TIA

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temples night-time light-up

There are lots of places that will have "light up" during your time here.

In Higashi-yama (east side) there are a few choices. Tofuku-ji has it from NOV 12 to DEC 5 from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (500 yen). Next is Chion-in Temple from NOV 6 to NOV 28 from 5:30 to 9:00 (800 yen). Eikando Temple from NOV 6 to NOV 30 from 5:30 to 9:00 (600 yen). Kodai-ji goes from OCT 22 to DEC 5 and it starts after sunset and closes at 9:30 (600 yen)

Kiyomizudera Temple would be the big one from NOV 17 to DEC 12 and starts the latest from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30. The streets leading up to there will also have lanterns along the side during that same time.

In Arashiyama you can go to Daikaku-ji from NOV 12 to DEC 5 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (500 yen). Tenryu-ji Temple also has something from NOV 13 to DEC 5 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. (600 yen).

In the center of Kyoto, Kitano Tenman-gu Shrine has it on specific days from sunset to 8:00 p.m. (600 yen). NOV 20, 21, 23, 25, 27 & 28. And then on DEC 4 & 5.

There are some smaller ones too but these should give you a good selection.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Temples night-time light-up

Hi testing24, we have experienced temples at night and just a lovely experience.

Hi Kobekeith, sorry to butt in. Would you know of any date for later in december say 18 onwards.......

Thanks

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temples night-time light-up

Hi SmooOz, I picked up a "Monthly guide for tourist in Kyoto" (minus the "s" for the plural form) when I was there the other day and it is technically the November guide so maybe there will be something for you in December. I am going back to Kyoto next Wednesday so I will pick up more info at the station when I am there. The latest "light up" event that is in my guide is DEC 13. I'll post new info if I find out anything new after NOV 3.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Temples night-time light-up

Good Morning Kobekeith, Thanks for doing that.

Have a lovely trip and a great day :-)

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temples night-time light-up

Thanks, good morning to you too. If this typhoon doesn't bring too much rain on Sunday, I will join a friend for lunch in Kyoto so I may have better December info for you this weekend.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Temples night-time light-up

mmm ... we can't let a little (or a lot) of rain get in the way of good food....

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temples night-time light-up

absolutely not. I just just change the venue on a rainy typhoon day. We have great cafes in Kobe too. :) Tourists rarely go to the Okamoto area. I definitely don't let rain get between me and my weekend cakey set. I'm on a weekend-only cake-set restriction.

Singapore
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Temples night-time light-up

Thanks Kobekeith! That was really useful info. Definitely help alot with the planning esp. for folks like me on tight schedule. You have been a really great help and I really appreciate it lots.

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temples night-time light-up

Hey testing24, you're welcome. Glad I could help. Have a great trip!

Sydney
Level Contributor
83 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temples night-time light-up

Thank you so much kobekeith.

We will be in Kyoto from 14-18/11 ... love to see the light up at Kiyomizudera ... so exciting ... can't wait.