We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odori

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Odori

I've decided not to do Gion Corner because of all the things they'll show, I'm most interested in the dance and tea ceremony, which according to their website, they do not perform during "special performance" period in January.

I'm dying to watch a Nihon buyo or Kamogawa / Miyako Odori (not actually sure of the difference between these two types of dance). Is there any such performance in Kyoto between Jan. 18 - 20?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,169 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odori

You might be out of luck here. I researched but couldn't find anything. Sorry.

There is no difference in types of dance between Kamogawa and Miyako Odori--same type of Nihon Buyo (Inoue-ryu) done by different groups of Maiko/Geiko. Kamogawa Odori by Pontocho group and Miyako Odori by Gion group.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Odori

January/February is about the worst time for performances. (OK, summer isn't too great, either--too hot.) Fall is the peak time, and everyone is tired from that season. The weather is lousy, so no one wants to go out to perform or watch! You might go to the tourist info center and see if they happen to have a list of student recitals. They probably won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If you can find a copy of a magazine called "Hogaku Journal" (and someone who can read Japanese!) you might find something. It won't have a comprehensive list, but it's worth a try. I get my Hogaku Journal delivered to the US by surface mail, so I won't get my Jan. issue until late Feb. (if I'm lucky!)

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odori

I'm not a big fan of the Gion Corner performances anyway. You might find other performances that would interest you. Bunraku in Osaka, for one.

This online "magazine" has some interesting options:

http://www.timeout.jp/en/kyoto

4. Re: Odori

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2011, 05:28