We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Restaurant

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nice Restaurant

I know I am asking an impossible question. :) I am looking for a nice but not expensive restaurant near the Handicraft Center or Gion Corner. Perhaps vegetarian tempura? Everything we see is very expensive and I thought I would see if there are less expensive options out there. Thanks!

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Restaurant

What do you mean by "vegetarian tempura?!" I've never seen meat tempura here. Are you vegan? No fish? Tempura isn't really fine dining so you should be able to find it almost anywhere. You can find it in most udon shops which are cheap and you will have noodles with tempura on the side. Just tell them that you don't want the shrimp if you are a vegan. If you are a true vegan and strict about it then the soup with the noodles won't be something you can eat because there will usually be some sort of fish stock in it like bonito flavoring or something. You can get cold noodles and eat them plain with soy sauce if you object to fish murder.

Kyoto is famous for the tofu dining and you may like that. The tofu here tastes nothing like what is sold elsewhere. "Yu dofu" with tempura on the side might be something that you can eat.

Will you eat sour plums? If so, try to find "Umeboshi Ocha Zuke" or "Ume cha-zuke." It's vegetarian but not a popular dish with foreign tourists. It's a bowl of rice with green tea it and plums and seasonings on top. It usually comes with a side of pickled radish. Probably gross to most people but I know some who love it. It's a light lunch and leaves space for dessert later on in a nice cafe somewhere. So many great desserts in cool cafes here!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,441 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Restaurant

This might help - http://www.bento.com/kansai/kyoto.html

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Restaurant

There are so many great restaurants in Kyoto! You won't find much information online for the smaller, family run places that are fun to try. From the handicraft center, as you exit, turn right and there are several places at the end of that block and then on the side streets. Look at menus, step inside to see if you like the looks of something, many places have the plastic food in the windows.

Some of the best places to eat are harder to discover unless you read Japanese because they are upstairs in a multi-floor building and you would have to read the sign outside. Depending on which hotel you are staying in, the concierge will be able to recommend places.

I've just never had trouble finding good food in Kyoto without planning for a specific place ahead of time. But if you are searching for vegetarian food, do learn how to ask for it in Japanese at a restaurant. If you are not specific and clear, you will for sure get something that was cooked in fish broth.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 15:37
Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Restaurant

I am not sure which temple, but on the grounds of one of the temples in Kyoto I have been told there is a vegetarian restaurant. From what my friend who stayed at the temple's guest house said, I gather the monks work there at least some of the time. She spoke highly of it, and said her stay in their guest house was quite inexpensive and included a meal from there. Granted, this was a few years ago, but I am sure if you ask at your hotel this is the sort of thing they'd know about.

Virginia
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Restaurant

This is great information! Thank you all. We are not vegetarian, but it was suggested to me that it would be a bit less expensive. But the food all sounds so wonderful, it might be the one night we decide to splurge!!! My daughter can read a little Japanese so that will be helpful. I am really looking for a good place just to stop in. I like the idea of walking by the handicraft center. Thanks again! Would welcome anymore suggestions!

Hiroshima
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Restaurant

How about the Curry Udon restaurant located in Gion? The restaurant name is "Mimikou." http://www.mimikou.jp/

…tabelog.com/kyoto/…

The curry udon is different from the ramen. It is soup that put the curry together on the fish stock.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 03:40
Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Restaurant

You don't need to leave the station, there's many cheap small restaurants there. You can even cook okinominyaki on a hotplate. And more in Isetan department store.

8. Re: Nice Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 05:19