We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather Kyoto two weeks March

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
159 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Weather Kyoto two weeks March

Starting to organize our packing and wondering how may layers we might need for Kyoto this year late march. Sounds like it is sunny and around 55-60 during the day, I tend to run cold, but wondering if a fleece and sweater will be enough layers. Ready to shed the down I have been wearing here as the winter has been snowy and in the teens consistently. Wondering if it is rainy in Kyoto , tokyo in late march.

Thanks for input. We are traveling with only carry ons, but can wear our jackets on the flights of course.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,451 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather Kyoto two weeks March

March weather goes all over the place--it can be 60F one day and plunge to 32F the next day. If you tend to run cold, bring your heavy jacket. It's snowing very lightly in Tokyo now.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather Kyoto two weeks March

Yes, you can expect some rain, but it isn't the rainy season. While in Tokyo you can walk long distances underground if it rains, which becomes an adventure in itself. Do bring an umbrella or purchase one in Japan. As soon as it starts raining you will see lots of umbrellas near the front doors of shops. Some hotels will loan an umbrella if you try to walk out without one.

I've never needed a heavy jacket in Japan at this time of the year, but I think it has become so much less predictable now that it would be wise to be ready for anything! When I leave for Japan in three weeks I will leave the down coat at home and bring several garments for warm layering, and a rain jacket.

Edited: 07 March 2011, 02:33
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather Kyoto two weeks March

I got by with nothing heavier than a heavy fleece coat, but wore several layers underneath (four layers including the fleece). Even a t-shirt under a long sleeve undershirt under a sweater and a fleece, worked for me. It was much less to pack and easy to launder. Buy disposable umbrellas once you reach japan. Umbrellas are available at every corner convenience store at a very reasonable price.

4. Re: Weather Kyoto two weeks March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 04:16