We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

problem phoning overseas

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
120 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
problem phoning overseas

I have been trying to use the green public phone in front of a small supermarket in Kyoto to dial home to Melbourne Australia.

I have bought a 1,000 yen ntteast-nttwest phone card - can some-one please tell me the prefix numbers I should dial to obtain an international service?

many thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: problem phoning overseas

There are ways of phoning, but I suggest:

0033+010+61 [Australia] + [Call No. XXX-XXX-XXXX]

You can call with 1,000 yen 7min 25sec (09:-19:00)

There are some green phones available for domestic use only. It will be indicated 国内専用

You should find a grey one, and those will mostly be available also for international calls.

Edited: 01 June 2011, 12:57
Yokohama
Level Contributor
939 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: problem phoning overseas

maybe 010-61-(phone number)

3. Re: problem phoning overseas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 13:10
Edited: 01 June 2011, 13:10
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: problem phoning overseas

If you take up your phone, hear the tone, dial the numbers above one by one (adding your phone no. in Australia that you wish to call), your phone will be connected directly to the designated phone no.

If you still find trouble, you may ask assistance at your hotel, or call:

NTT English Town Net Service

Tel: 104

Monday - Saturday

10:00 - 19:00

General information service, which in addition to giving telephone directory information, also answers questions on how to get things done and who to call. They will also assist in calls to 119 or other emergency services.

australia.or.jp/en/consular/other/phone.php

*** I've corrected the no. to Australia (61) instead of the initial posting which informed you of the United states' no.

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
120 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: problem phoning overseas

thanks for the detailed and speedy responses. i will try tomorrow and let you know how i go. much appreciated,

tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: problem phoning overseas

If you have a computer I also try recommend using SKYPE, it really works fine.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: problem phoning overseas

I have had endless problems trying to use phone cards in Japan. The instructions on the cards rarely seem to work, so I have given up and just use the hotel phones.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
120 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: problem phoning overseas

thanks everyone. after trying unsuccessfully for six days we finally succeeded. we went to the magnificent kyoto railway station and found a set of phones on the first foor - opposite the main entrance to JR Isetan department store. there were several grey and green phones there and we found a green phone with "International" access clearly displayed on the screen. Eureka!

then we dialled VERY SLOWLY 001 010 [country code] [phone number] AND IT WORKED!!!!

how good is that, after waiting so long for success? hope this helps other visitors to Japan.

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: problem phoning overseas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 13:19