We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buses in Kyoto

CA
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
buses in Kyoto

I know everyone says the bus system in Kyoto is easy, but are there any tricks to it for those of us who don't speak Japanese? Are there passes, or do you need exact change? How much does it cost?

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
984 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buses in Kyoto

libmin,

1. Try to use one-day ticket. It costs 500 yen. Whole day. Almost everywhere in Kyoto.

2. You can buy one from the bus driver. Or shops near bus stops. Or information center near Kyoto Station.

3. In Kyoto you ride a bus from the entrance at the back. You take off at the front door near the driver.

4. When you get on the bus for the first time, tell the driver that you would like to buy a one-day ticket. And you must let the ticket through the machine which makes an inprint of the day data at the back of the card(ticket). At getting off, show the back side of your one-day ticket to the driver.

5. If you want to get off the bus at a certain busstop, push the botton near the window after an anouncement of the name of the busstop. This is all.

5. Find a map of bus route at information centers or some other places.

6. You have to recognize where you are now. But do not worry. One stop mistake is not important. You can walk such a distance. Or tell someone near you that you want to get of at a certain busstop. All the Japanese understand the name of the busstop! They will help you.

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: buses in Kyoto

libmin, check this out!

city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

CA
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buses in Kyoto

Thank you for the responses. The information so helpful! I know there will be so many things I have to figure out once I'm there, so I like to gather as much information in advance as possible.

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buses in Kyoto

libmin.. you can take the bus in Kyoto to Togetsukyo Bridge in Arashiyama,about 4 miles from central Kyoto it's a very beautiful area wife and i went there twice takes mabe 25 minutes..Also that's where they have the Cormorant fishing every evening between July 1st and Sept.15th on the Oi river..the boat men use Cormorants with rings around thier necks to catch fish...

Enjoy Kyoto..Jimmy

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buses in Kyoto

In addition to the city bus system, there is also a prefectural system. Since the prefecture is also named Kyoto, this can cause a bit of confusion. The Kyoto city buses are painted dark green on light green, while the prefectural buses - called "Kyoto Bus," hence confusion - are maroon on pale yellow.

If your plans include visiting worthwhile but comparatively far-flung locations such as Mt Hiei, you may be directed to ride a Kyoto Bus. So be sure you pick the right color!

To the chagrin of many (including me), Kyoto gradually and completely did away with its streetcars. By the end of the '70s, none were still in operation. Now there are some "chin chin" (clang clang) sightseeing "trolleys" that the transportation authority runs. Just like the misnamed "trolleys" in the States, they are not trolleys but truck bodies outfitted with a trolley-shaped passenger vehicle. For a special fare, you can ride one of these around town and catch many of the sightseeing spots.

The subways in Kyoto are nothing spectacular, just two routes (one east-west and one north-south.) For the most part, buses and taxis are the best means for traveling in the city.

Hong Kong
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: buses in Kyoto

Does the JR pass work on any of the Kyoto buses? Thanks.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
984 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buses in Kyoto

No, I do not think it does.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buses in Kyoto

I like the subways better. Much faster, you don't have to wait for a bloody bus(esp. when it's cold & rainy outside) and they are not as crowded. I was in Kyoto for 4 days this week and used only the subway this time(I usually take the bus but the crowds got to me last time) and they have a 1-day pass for 600 yen as well. Granted they don't go everywhere like the buses do, but if you are hanging out downtown and want to jet here & there, it's fast & convenient!