We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expected Daytime High Temperatures and Lows in Early Evening

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Expected Daytime High Temperatures and Lows in Early Evening

We will be visiting Kyoto in mid November. I have looked at a number of posts as well as other online research regarding normal dayrtime high temperatures and early evening lows once the sun goes down. Average temperatures don't help much. TA posts and online sources are all over the place. I would like to hear from a local on what to plan for so that we can plan our clothing accordingly. We do dress in layers, however, the normal highes and the lows during the day from a local expert would be helpful. Thank you.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expected Daytime High Temperatures and Lows in Early Evening

I'm not local but the Japanese Meteorological Agency data should be reliable: …jma.go.jp/obd/stats/data/en/smp/index.html The mean daytime high in November is 17 degrees (C). The mean low (early morning, typically, not evening) is 8 degrees.

There is some chance that this November will be warmer than average, but I don't know how reliable this prediction is: www.jma.go.jp/en/longfcst/000_1_12.html

Check here for the one-week forecast for Kyoto prefecture before you leave: http://www.jma.go.jp/en/week/333.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,404 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expected Daytime High Temperatures and Lows in Early Evening

A historical average is a fair and unbiased guideline. I wonder how a person could be better than actual averages calculated over a number of years? Weather is not predictable (except for the upcoming few days) and temperature varies on a daily basis. If the average range based on historical records is 10-15C, then a local tells you it's 15 to 20C, would you rather believe the local instead? Of course, the actual temperature for your visit could be 20-25C or 5-10C. You just never know.

Just check out the weather forecast as your travel date approaches. That's as accurate as you can get.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Expected Daytime High Temperatures and Lows in Early Evening

The end of Nov/beginning of Dec is usually the time locals begin to wear long coats. So maybe you can figure out how they look in mid-Nov. Yes, temps vary not so much on a day-to-day basis but on a half-a-week basis, I think. In my experience only, when they feel as if the thermometer stands at as low as, or lower than, 10degrees of Centigrade, people tend to hit Kyoto/Nara wearing long coats, since they know Kyoto/Nara is usually colder than their hometowns.

One other thing to note is whether or not the wind blows hard on the day of your travel. When it does, Arashiyama in particular gets pretty cold.

With all of that said, it is relative the way you feel cold/hot, you know. For instance, if one is from Antarctica, one sure feels OK just with a T-shirt/shorts for mid-Nov in Kyoto. Yes, I do see that kind of overseas visitors sometimes.

Yes, three days are too short for you to get acclimated to the weather here. And so, you may like to pack in a couple of long-sleeved polo-shirts, light sweaters, AND a not heavy long coat (just in case). I don't think gloves/scarves will be necessary.

Not sure if this becomes a tip for you, but come mid-Nov, I always wear either like Mr Rogers or like Capt Columbo, depending on the weather. :)

No worries, sir. You can fare just as well for sure.

Edited: 06 October 2011, 19:16
4. Re: Expected Daytime High Temperatures and Lows in Early Evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 02:18