We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temples and admission fees

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Temples and admission fees

Hello,

while planning our visit to Kyoto, we will have to make some choices on what to visit "properly", what to visit "quickly" and what to skip, due to obvious time constraints (about 2.5 days). Based on recommendation in previous posts, I'm carefully reading information on this website (in addition to guidebooks), which is very helpful and detailed:

http://www.japan-guide.com/

I see that most temples charge a fee, which is generally moderate or very reasonable, so I'm happy to pay for visiting the most interesting ones, but of course, when visiting many places fees sum up and that could be quite expensive in the end.

What I would like to understand is whether the indicated fees are for the interiors of the temples (i.e. for entering inside the buildings), or also for access to the temple grounds.

As I said, I'm happy to pay for quite a lot of places, but in some cases - for time constraints and budget reasons - we may only want to see some of the 'minor' places quickly, watching the buildings from the outside: would that be free?

Thanks

Brisbane, Qld
Level Contributor
158 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Temples and admission fees

As always thank you Kagakiwi. Now have it noted.We will be in Kanazawa on the 3rd of April and leave on the 6th for Tokyo.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Temples and admission fees

I think you're on the right track--seeing fewer temples and shrines will give you more time to experience those you do visit. My opinion is that if you only have time for a quick "exterior view and run," it's best to skip that temple and be in less of a rush generally. Try to visit a mixture of the most popular sites and some less-popular sites which might provide an opportunity for quiet contemplation.

Frommer's Japan guidebook could be helpful--they rate all points of interest!

Edited: 27 January 2012, 00:42
Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,071 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Temples and admission fees

But some of the ones that are free from the outside are still interesting to take a walk thru without having to pay. As someone said above, you can actually see quite a bit of Nanzen-ji without having to pay for the other areas.

Heian Shrine is one that you can see quite a bit of if you do not want to pay to enter the garden in the back.

Chion-in Temple is mostly free and the small area in back where you have to pay can easily be skipped. In Chion-in Temple, you can enter the huge main hall for free which is very interesting and then the 2 side buildings as well. Also, it has the largest temple bell in all of Japan up a hill and around the back which always impresses people on my tours and that is free to see as well. The main gate of Chion-in is also the largest wooden temple gate in Japan.

All of the above are free and you aren't losing out by avoiding the other parts which charge a fee. If you are here during a blossom season of some sort then the garden at the Heian Shrine is worth the fee though.

14. Re: Temples and admission fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2013, 10:29