We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haruka + ICOCA deal

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Haruka + ICOCA deal

Hello,

when I was in Japan in last April this deal was not available, so the best deal for me for travelling between KIX aND Kyoto was a one-day "Kansai Area pass", which made me travel on the Haruka for 2,000 yen.

If I correctly understand the new deal, instead, I would have to pay 3,000 yen (for one-way travel); 500 are the refundable deposit, so if I give the ICOCA card back at the end, it's like paying 2,500 yen. This would give me one-way travel on Haruka + 1,500 yen of usable credit on the card, which in fact is like "real money", as they can also be spent at 7-eleven or Lawson's, etc. (in addition to Kyoto subway, etc). So, after all, it's like spending just 1,000 yen for travelling on Haruka.

If that's the case I'll use this deal, when I'm back to Japan next year.

Is my maths correct? It almost sounds too good to be true!

Edited: 10 November 2012, 11:29
Singapore
Level Contributor
295 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haruka + ICOCA deal

www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_icoca_haruka.html

http://www.jr-odekake.net/en/icoca-haruka/

I have reserved mine and all description fits what you are saying

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haruka + ICOCA deal

ICOCA + Haruka is the best deal at the moment if you are heading from KIT to Kyoto. The deal you used last year should be the JR West 1-day Pass.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haruka + ICOCA deal

Yes, indeed.

Taking the things to the very extreme, if one gave back the ICOCA without using it at all - and considering the 210 yen handling fee - the trip on Haruka would only cost 1,210 yen: that's amazing!

Of course I plan on using the ICOCA for a few subway trips, and then for sure I'll use some credit at the convenience stores, as electronic money.

The deal I used last year was the JR West one-day, correct.

http://www.jr-odekake.net/en/jwrp/kansai.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haruka + ICOCA deal

ICOCA use shouldn't really figure into the calculation though since otherwise, you would still have to buy individual tickets for those trips. The effective lowest cost of riding Haruka each way is just 1,000 Yen. Remember the maximum 210 Yen ICOCA return handling fee can be fully refundable if you use up the entire ICOCA balance. When you have some odd Yen left on the card, just use it to buy one last one-way ticket and pay for the ticket with that remaining balance plus cash to run the balance to 0.

5. Re: Haruka + ICOCA deal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2013, 10:16