We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fushimi Inari

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Fushimi Inari

Hi all

I plan to get there in the morning: how much time does it usually take to cover it?

Is it reasonable to visit it on the way to Nara? Or it's beneficial to get to Nara itself as early as possible?

Thank you

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
4 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fushimi Inari

In my opinion, go Nara 1st will be better. Nara itself has more to explore and you will need much more time.

Depends on how thorough you want to explore Fushimi Inari, I only spent about 1 hour at Fushimi Inari Taisha. Not visiting the area around it.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fushimi Inari

Depends on how early you are willing to start..

Fushimi Inari has no closing time.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,445 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fushimi Inari

One or the other first doesn't matter a whole lot. While Fushimi Inari never closes, it might feel strangely quiet if you visit late in the evening. It will be lighted but the atmosphere might be too quiet for some.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,878 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fushimi Inari

If you are fit, it would only take about an hour or less to the top. Not everyone is young and ambitious to go to the top to enjoy the view.

It all depends on what you see. If you want to see just Todaiji Temple in Nara and perhaps Kofukuji as well you can go in the morning. However, if you are one of the few foreigners who might also want to visit Horyuji complex, the "other UNESCO site" (actually hosts the oldest surviving wooden structure in the world and possibly the most important historical asset in Japan), you might have to start early and leave Fushimi Inari after Nara early in the evening. People's preferences are different, so there is no single correct answer.

It's true shrines seem a bit too enchanting or spooky if you visit at night, although there are no one buried there.

Edited: 13 November 2012, 06:45
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fushimi Inari

Thank you all of you !! I got my answer. Very useful

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fushimi Inari

What I usually do is stop at Fushimi Inari first thing in the early morning. The walk up the hill through the tori is the best part of the site, for me. If you actually walk all the way up, and make the loop at the top, and explore some of the side paths, you can take a good two hours, even more if desired. Then I head off to Nara for the rest of the day. That way, I have all day to explore Nara and make a late trip back to Kyoto.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fushimi Inari

Thank you all!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fushimi Inari

Those are all great comments. What would be the way to get from Fushimi Inari to Nara?

Thank you all!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
118 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fushimi Inari

I assume you visit Todaiji temple. By train,

From Fushimi Inari station, take Keihan Main/Nakanoshima Line Local to Tambabashi station. Then, walk to Kintetsu-Tambabashi station take Kintetsu Kyoto Line Exp Kintetsu-Nara; or

Take JR Nara Line at Inari station to Nara station. (You have to walk a a bit from the station to Todaiji.) Do a search on the timing on hyperdia.com, as per many experts advices, avoid the slower Local line, you would have to do transfer at certain station.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fushimi Inari

Thank you nikontraveller