We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Postcards: where to buy them?

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Postcards: where to buy them?

Hello,

a dear friend of mine that lives in Brazil has asked me to send him a postcard from Japan, as he collects them.

Are postcards easy to find (e.g. in souvenir shops around temples)? What kind of shops should I look for? Will they also sell the stamps?

I don't remember seeing postcards being sold when I was there last year, but I was not looking for them, then.

Thanks!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Matsumoto
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Postcards: where to buy them?

Go to 1st floor of Kyoto Tower:

http://tinyurl.com/ahlt7d6

you sure will find postcard-sets. Stamps are available in convenient stores. Yes, Central Post office is also in the same area, found on the farthest left as you face to that tower from the Karasuma side of JR Kyoto.

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Postcards: where to buy them?

I always buy a lot of postcards when I go to Japan. Some I send to friends and family, and others I keep as souvenirs.

You won't have any trouble finding them if you go to major tourist sites. Just look in the gift shops (or in the case of places like small temples and shrines, if there is no gift shop they might sell them at the entrance booth if there is one). However, I suggest not waiting until the end of your trip. There have been a few times when I wanted to buy postcards and couldn't find them!

Besides cards devoted to popular tourist venues, I enjoy the many seasonal and traditional (and in some cases, just wacky) postcards that are available in stationery shops and the stationery sections of stores such as Tokyu Hands, Loft, and major department stores.

Stamps you might have to get at the post office. Ask at your hotel if you don't know where to go.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Postcards: where to buy them?

Hi, thanks both!

Shot, do you mean that I can find stamps also at 7-Eleven? Should I ask at the counter, or are they on the shelves?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Matsumoto
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Postcards: where to buy them?

Um, I don't work for 7-11, or any other conveni for that matter, so am not sure, but I can often see them take out a transparent plastic bag where they keep stamps, from a drawer somewhere under the counter...

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Matsumoto
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Postcards: where to buy them?

See some samples:

http://tinyurl.com/a8kabft

At a conveni, you can't pick ones you want, I guess.If you want to then you should go to the above-said Central Post Office.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Postcards: where to buy them?

Lol! Thanks Shot, I'll ask the clerks at the counter! :-)

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,125 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Postcards: where to buy them?

If you're staying at a hotel, they'll most likely have stamps at the front desk.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Postcards: where to buy them?

Good idea, thanks Shibuyakko!

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Postcards: where to buy them?

Postage for a standard postcard is ¥70 airmail anywhere in the world, normally you won't have a choice of stamp as it's been the same for years.

Any post office will help you, look for the Japan Post 〒 logo Most staff will understand "stampu" or ask for "kitte" & give them your postcard, they'll take of it.

Post Offices have some beautiful stamp sets on display for collectors if anyone is interested

…japanpost.jp/kitte_hagaki/…index.html

10. Re: Postcards: where to buy them?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 05:19