We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fushimi Inari

bethesda
4 posts
Save Topic
Fushimi Inari

How much time do one need at Fushimi Inari- including the hike up? What's the best time to go?

Which one should we visit: Gion Or Sannenzaka Ninenzaka or both?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,913 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fushimi Inari

It takes ~2 hours to do the whole loop at Fushimi Inari. You can go anytime you want as it's always open but I'd avoid going late in the afternoon. Fushimi Inari is in a woods so it gets very dark in twilight. Since there are so many uneven steps, it's not very safe.

Ninenzaka, Sannenzaka are in between Kiyomizu-dera and Gion, so usually people visit them as a unit.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,827 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fushimi Inari

Fushimi Inari is also a bit eerie-looking looking once it gets dark and becomes quiet. If you want to maximize your sightseeing time, it's best to go very early in the morning when other sights haven't quite opened yet.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fushimi Inari

I agree with both of the previous posts, and I also suggest the early morning. It's very peaceful early in the morning. Then you would also have time to get back on the train and head off to Nara to see Daibutsu. It's a perfect day trip from Kyoto.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fushimi Inari

Last time I took a group to Kyoto, Ninenzaka/Sannenzaka was the highlight of the trip. Gion is also worthwhile, as it's a completely different vibe.

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fushimi Inari

We went late in the day on a rainy overcast day. Despite this it didn't really matter. There were few tourists and the place was atmospheric with lanterns lighting the passageways. We did not hike all the way up as we had already done a lot of uphill clmbing and we saw heaps in the lower levels,

6. Re: Fushimi Inari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 05:16