We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day planning help!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Day planning help!

Hi!

A friend and I will travelling to Japan in early June. At the moment I am trying to work out a rough plan for Kyoto.

I would like to dedicate a day to the Higashiyama area.. But am unable to find much information in the form of easy to read maps so I'm a little lost.

I'm thinking we would spend the morning at Fushimi-Inari

And then travel onto some other sites. These are my ideas:

Kinkakuji

Sanjusangendo

Maybe kiyomizudera

And just having a look around the higashiyama streets (like shijo ave)

Not sure what order this would work best in or if we have enough time?

Or maybe we can even fit more in?

Open to any suggestions including change of sights, additions or taking average things out.

Thank you so much for the help in advance,

Samm

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day planning help!

This is a very good & accurate walking map jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-503.pdf

If you google you will see that Fushimi Inari is outside of central Kyoto city, more like the southern suburbs. By train from Higashiyama, it's about half an hour away.

The map & guide below are for using the bus system (but does show train lines) - This map is very useful as buses are the main method of getting around Kyoto.

…kyoto.jp/koho/…basunabieigo-rosenn.pdf

…kyoto.jp/koho/…basunabieigo-omote.pdf

Maps won't get any easier than these.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day planning help!

I've recently visited Kyoto and used the map that Elly has suggested. It is a useful map and worked well for me. I walked from Kiyomizudera to Ginkakuji all in the one day. I visited Kiyomizudera, Yasawa Shrine, Heian Shrine and Ginkakuji, as well as a bit of looking in some of the shops en route, doing a couple of diversions down interesting old side streets, and stopping a couple of times for food and coffee.

That was a full day, so I think you are being optimistic if you want to include Fushimi Inari and Kinkakuji as well as Higashiyama.

3. Re: Day planning help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 05:15