We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Bus fare or Kyoto Sightseeing Pass for Gion Matsuri?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
City Bus fare or Kyoto Sightseeing Pass for Gion Matsuri?

I will be staying very close to Kyoto station. Could anyone advise where about is Gion Matsuri festival / Yamaboko Junko grand parade (17th July) will be at?

What is the best way to travel from Kyoto station? By train or by bus using on City bus fare ore 2 days Kyoto Sightseeing Pass?

Thank in advance to who would may able to help!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City Bus fare or Kyoto Sightseeing Pass for Gion Matsuri?

Although translated by Google erratically, these might help you a bit.

translate.google.com/translate…

translate.google.com/translate…

The Hokos will be placed in the town quarters between Shijo-Horikawa and Shijo-Karasuma, south of Oike-dori street and north of Takatsuji street. You can take the bus, metro/Hankyu, taxi, or walk. Since none of the passes win you much money, and you might be taking more than one mode of transportation, I might just go by normal fare if I were you.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 09:05
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,881 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Bus fare or Kyoto Sightseeing Pass for Gion Matsuri?

Take the subway to Shijo and walk. The major streets become parking lots when Gion Matsuri is held. The bus will get stuck in very heavy traffic--will be a nightmare.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City Bus fare or Kyoto Sightseeing Pass for Gion Matsuri?

Oh my goodness yes. It will be crazy busy for traffic. Subway and walking is really the only way to make any progress!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Bus fare or Kyoto Sightseeing Pass for Gion Matsuri?

I might vote for only walking, its not so far. For me, maybe 30 minutes.

You can go most of the way right up along the banks of the Kamo River. Quiet, no cars, river, mountains.

Or stay up in the city on the little street that runs parallel and just next to the river. It's called Pontocho, the famous Pontocho, up by Sanjo/Shijo not sure if they keep calling it that as you head south, but still an intersesting street to walk on.

When you get to Shijo Bridge, come on up to the street level. It is the tiniest bit uphill, so you get a nice long view down the street of the Hokos and the crowds.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,881 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Bus fare or Kyoto Sightseeing Pass for Gion Matsuri?

>>>I might vote for only walking, its not so far. For me, maybe 30 minutes.<<<

Yeah, but remember that it's going to be extremely hot and humid. After a 30 minute walk, you'll be drenched.

Don't forget to carry a handkerchief or two.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Bus fare or Kyoto Sightseeing Pass for Gion Matsuri?

I would go for a walking option as I feel it is the best way to absorb Kyoto charms. However, as there will be crowd , combined with hot weather ( Is it that hot/ humid compared to Australia's weather?!?!) and a baby in tag, it make sense for us to take the subway, have a light stroll and enjoy a bit of parade and get back to our hotel before the climax of float event to beat the crowd.

Thank for helping me to design my plan for that day.

7. Re: City Bus fare or Kyoto Sightseeing Pass for Gion Matsuri?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:19