We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

Malaysia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

Hi, i would be travelling to kyoto for seminar. I would love to visit kanazawa,shirakawa and Takayama during the weekend. i wonder is it possible to travel these 3 location in 2 full day(2days 1night)? if so, What is your advise about the best order to visit these location? Thank you!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,436 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

It's tight but do-able. On your first day, take an early train from Kyoto to Kanazawa on the Thunderbird Limited Express (takes about 2:20 and costs just under 7,000 Yen). Spend the night at Kanazawa (stay at a hotel near the station) or take the 4pm Nohi bus to Shirakawa-go (arrives at 5:15pm) and spend the night at an gasshou house. The next morning, if you spent the previous night at Kanazawa, take the first bus to Shirakawa-go. Either way, look around for a couple of hours. Leave for Takayama at a reasonable time to give yourself a few hours there. Take no later than the 6:45pm and last Hida Express to Nagoya so you can change to Nozomi Shinkansen to Kyoto (just over 3 hours, and around 10,000 Yen).

Note that Nohi buses require reservations. See link below for timetable and more information:

nouhibus.co.jp/english/shirakawago_kanazawa.…

Train fares and schedules:

http://www.hyperdia.com

Malaysia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

Thanks for the prompt reply. I checked on hyperdia, the earliest train is start from 7+am arrive Kanazawa is about 10am. Will take nohi bus(is 4.40pm is last bus?) to shirakawa stay a nite to experience the gassho house. any good recommand which to stay? any nite life in shirakawa? in next morning, the earliest nohi bus depart to Takayama is about 10am, will arrive at 11am, are we miss the morning market in takayama?

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

Given the short time you have another possibility. From Kanazawa catch a train to Takayama (It took about 2 1/2 hrs with 1 transfer) and stay there overnight. You would then be able to visit the morning markets and have a good look around the old town . Don't miss seeing the festival floats, they are beautiful. We saw them in the spring parade but they have a couple on display in the festival floats hall at other times of the year Later in the day you can catch a bus (bus office just near the station) to the Hida Folk Village (about 10 min drive). There are lots of different buildings that have been transported there from around the local area, including a number of gassho farmhouses. There were lots of informative signs (in English ) explaining how they were built and used and you can go inside look around and climb up to the top level. The layout of the village is such that you can follow a set course to walk around the whole area and see everything in an hour. The shuttle bus (included I price) goes once an hour.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 12:56
Malaysia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

Thanks for your advise. It's mean we will have to skip shirakawa? By the way, What is the different between shirakawa and Hida old village. Thanks

Malaysia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

Pls advise which train to take from Kanazawa to takayama and which stop for the transfer? Thks

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

Shirakawa-go is an actual town in which people live while Hida is a display village with information signs to explain things. I have not been to Shirakawa-go so I do not know whether you can access the houses or whether they are private property.

Travelling from Kanazawa to Takayama there are a few different possibilities (check the Hyperdia train timetable site listed in post 1) The quickest taking just over 2 hrs is using the Limited Express Thunderbirs, changing at Toyama and continuing to Takayama on the Ltd Exp Hida 20. We actually travelled in the reverse direction from Takayama to Kanazawa.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

Thanks for the info. I have checked in hyperdia, from Kanazawa to takayama, need to make 2 transfer from Toyama and inotani. Is the correct route? Would it cover by jr pass?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,436 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

There are houses that are open to public visit at Shirakawa-go. Those houses aren't ones that people are actually living though.

You do not need to make two transfers from Kanazawa to Takayama. With a JR Pass, take the Thunderbird Ltd Express to Toyama, and transfer to Hida Limited Express. This is the fastest method taking around 2:15.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

This may not be related to your question but I think it may be something worth looking into,

I remember that in order to get a JR Pass, you will need to have a tourist visa and they are very strict about that. I don't know if going to a seminar in Kyoto like what you said is going to change your visa status but something I think you need to find out before purchasing the pass.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,436 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kanazawa-shirakawa-takayama

As long as you get the temporary visitor stamp on your passport, then you are eligible to use the JR Pass. For a short-term seminar attendee, you should use the temporary visitor status to enter the country.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en002.html