We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japanese fabric - brocade in smaller traditional prints

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Japanese fabric - brocade in smaller traditional prints

I will be in Kyoto during December and want to buy Japanese fabric particularly brocade (similar to what is used to either make traditional dolls in Kimona or for OBI in smaller traditional patterns). Where can I find fabric shops for this in Kyoto?

Hadano, Japan
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japanese fabric - brocade in smaller traditional prints

The antique market, shop of old kimono will open up a store.

Antique market of Toji Temple, the 21st of each month. from 5:00 to 16:00.

Antique market of Kitano shrine is the 25th of every month.from 6:00 to 16:00.

It is a shop of the main antique kimono other.

translate.google.co.jp/translate…

I write in the Roman alphabet, the name of the shop.

Jidaigireya bon(j時代裂屋 凡)

Yaya(やや)

Miyagawa tokusaburo syouten(宮川徳三郎商店)

Ichimanben(いちまんべん)

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japanese fabric - brocade in smaller traditional prints

The antique market mentioned above is great for finding fabrics/used kimono.

I also look for regular fabric shops and purchase remnants. For a few choice selections try the Nishijin Textile Center. You have to be careful there, because some of their things are imports/mass produced for tourists, but they do have some really nice pieces if you know what you are looking for.

There is a large fabric shop across the street from Kyoto station, in one of the lower levels of the stores under Kyoto Tower. The building is on the corner directly across the street from the bus stop area, out of the Karasuma exit from Kyoto station.

Also in Kyoto station, ask at the Tourist information Center. They can tell you where to find fabric stores.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japanese fabric - brocade in smaller traditional prints

Thanks for that - we will be there 12-15 Dec so not good for the flea markets! It would be mainly fabric shops I need - are there any fabric shops around the Nishijin Textile Centre? I have been there but they did not seem to sell much fabric. I am really interested in Brocade more than anything.

Hadano, Japan
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japanese fabric - brocade in smaller traditional prints

When you go to Kyoto on the 15th, I have done several times handmade Chion-ji Temple (Hyakumanben ) is like.

happy-travelling.com/shop/…

That period, antique market of Heiwajima will be held in Tokyo just.

Change of schedules, if possible, I recommend this place.

jnto.go.jp/eng/…kottou.html

Edited: 15 September 2013, 03:31
5. Re: Japanese fabric - brocade in smaller traditional prints

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 05:16