We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

Hi All

We are in Kyoto on 13/14 of Jan on a short stay. I read that the temple is under renovations, thus the question - is it worth visiting since we only have a limited time in Kyoto?

Appreciate your help

Katia

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

Whether things are worth it or not depends on people.

That said, the restoration (not renovation) is done only partially and would not affect your visit. With limited time in Kyoto, Kiyomizu (as well as the southern Higashiyama area leading up to Gion and Heian Shrine), Tofukuji, Fushimi Inari Shrine are likely candidates, because of the proximity to Kyoto station.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

To me, Kiyomizudera is still the number 1 attraction in Kyoto. It's definitely worth the visit

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

I was there in June, and found the renovations didn't detract from my visit. It is a large temple with plenty to see, and I rate it as one of the best sights in Kyoto. The surrounding streets are also interesting, full of little shops which are fun to look around.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

I would most definitely visit Kiyomizudera. It was an amazing experience and the construction/restoration definitely didn't take away from it. I say you should, and the walk up to the Kiyomizu was a fun little experience as well. Kind of a steep walk we took, but it was lined with all sorts of stores and food stalls! Have fun in Kyoto :)

Cairns
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

Hi

Agree with the comments above. We were there a month ago, early August.

The eastern side of Kyoto for us had perhaps the oldest and most concentrated area of historical interest.

For example, The walk along the Philosophers Path from Ginkaku-ji past various temples and shrines all the way to Nanzen-ji where we had macha and bean cake sitting on tatami mats looking out at the side garden; The traditional machiya and restaurants along Pontocho, Hanami Kori and Shirakawa canal in Gion; The walk from Gion through Higashiyama via Yasaka Shrine, Murayama park, Ishibe kori, Kodai-ji, Ninen-zaka and San'nen-zaka and finally to Kiyomizudera itself.

Enjoy Kyoto, it is full of old and traditional mixed up with new and modern, a wonderful place to visit and get lost in.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

Eastern Kyoto has the highest concentration of good sights. You should aim to spend an entire day there, including a visit to Kiyomizu-dera. Another very unique attraction is Fushimi Inari. You can plan that on your second day (go early if you can since it never closes), then build you itinerary around Fushimi Inari depending on what else you want to see.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

DO NOT MISS KIYOMIZUDERA!

I go the EVERY time I go to Kyoto, love it!!

The main balcony area was restored several years ago, so you can wander there fine, and get the classic photo (essentially uninterrupted) from across the valley.

The major rebuild/ renovation of the 'secondary' temple was very much still underway when I was last there in April; but it is awesome to peek in and see them using traditional and modern techniques.

Don't forget to visit Jishu Jinja (love shrine) behind the main temple building (up hill on left as you come off the balcony)

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

I agree-- it's not like the temple is in isolation like some other sites. I "shopped" my way up the hill to the temple (like pilgrims have been doing for the last thousand years)-- adorable shops and great snack pit stops. On the way down you can easily hook up with two of the oldest shopping streets, Sannenzaka and Ninenzaka, then walk your way through the beautiful Higashiyama neighborhoods.

regards,

Kiki

http://souvenirfinder.com

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

I agree with SouvenirFinder. "Shopping" your way up to Kiyomizu is part of the fun of going there. It is filled with stores that sell local food treats and all sorts of souvenirs. I really recommend that you consider adding it to your plans for Kyoto.

jakarta
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiyomizudera Temple - worth visitng on a short stay?

Hi...

Here from Jakarta, Indonesia....we have various guided tours to Japan. For 7 days tour Kyoto-Tokyo, almost all tours visit only 2 places in Kyoto: Kiyomizu and Heian. Those two are the must see visits in Kyoto.

I myself visited Kyoto last March. Not with guided tour. I personally think Kiyomizu, Fushimi, and Kinkakuji are three must see in Kyoto.