We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto - temples and side trips

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
354 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Kyoto - temples and side trips

We are leaving for our trip to Asia in less than a month and I am still playing around with my Kyoto itinerary. I would really appreciate any feedback, recommendations or editing to this very simple itinerary. Thanks so very much.

Day 1 arrive late afternoon from Tokyo

Gion for dinner and evening

Day 2

Ginkakuji

Nanzenji

Nijo Castle

Kiyomizudera for evening illumination

Day 3:

Daytrip by Shinkansen to Hiroshima and back

Day 4:

Daytrip to Fushimi Shrine then on to Nara

Day 5:

Kinkakuji

Ryoanji

Return to Tokyo mid afternoon

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto - temples and side trips

No problem with this itinerary.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto - temples and side trips

The days do not seem too busy/rushed, they are about right, at least they would be for me. On day 2, you might go first to Nijo, then head to the Higasiyama area for the rest of the day to stop at Ginkakuji, walk the philosopher's path to Nanzenji, ending at light up at Kiyomizudera. You will have time to wander slowly and enjoy the atmosphere, stop at interesting neighborhood shrines and temples along the way, maybe even wander along the canal which should be beautiful. Plan to spend a short time in Maruyama park that day, too.

I'm glad you are going to Hiroshima for a day. It will be a long train trip, but worth the time and travel.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
197 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto - temples and side trips

Not sure if it's your kind of thing, but I thoroughly enjoyed my Arashiyama visit the last time I was there, so maybe you should plan half a day for that area if you wish...

Makati, Philippines
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto - temples and side trips

Hello, What's the best place to stay in Kyoto? A place where all tourist spots are easy to access? Me and my sister will visit Japan in March.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto - temples and side trips

Kyoto sights are spread out. There is no one best place. Popular areas include Kyoto station (good transport hub, but not much in terms of attractions in the immediate area), Karasuma and Kawaramachi (central Kyoto).

Makati, Philippines
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyoto - temples and side trips

Thanks Sammy! So its better if we will take hostels or accomodation in Kyoto Station or Cetyral Kyoto since these are closer to transportation hubs? Would you mind sharing your kyoto itinerary too? A 3 day Itinerary will do! :D And one last thing, Do you have any reccommended hostel or accomodation that is cheap yet worth the stay? :) Salamat! (Thanks)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kyoto - temples and side trips

Read through some of the threads in the Kyoto forum for itinerary suggestions. Generally speaking, you would normally group your sights by areas and opening/closing times so something along the lines of:

Day 1: Higashiyama, Gion

Day 2: Fushimi Inari (never closes to go early), central Kyoto

Day 3: Western Kyoto and Arashiyama

Check out the Kyoto page below for more information.

http://japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html

Makati, Philippines
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kyoto - temples and side trips

Hi Sammy, SO meaning all sites within Higashiyama should be visited first and this included Gion, then all sites in Central Kyoto which included Fushima Inari Shrine and then lastly we'll take a tour in all Western Kyoto and Arashiyama Area's tourist spots? Did I got it right? :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kyoto - temples and side trips

ALL depends on how quickly you see things. I just gave you a general rule. Some people opt to omit certain sights they don't find interesting or are too out of the way.

I suggest you put an itinerary together with the actual sights and then post it for more feedback.

Makati, Philippines
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kyoto - temples and side trips

Noted Sammy! Do you have email address were i can send my inquiries if ever? :)