We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estimate of daily expenses

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Estimate of daily expenses

I am traveling with my wife to Kansai region ie Kyoto 6 days and Osaka 2 days. Excluding souvenir items how much should I provide per day for 2 persons for food and travel. We expect to travel by subway and trains and are being small eaters we are not picky on foods .

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estimate of daily expenses

I did some preliminary planning for a Penang couple who are going to Japan next year for pretty much the same duration as yours.

I take that you will switch hotels from Kyoto to Osaka. I would recommend staying in Kyoto for the full duration and making day trips to Osaka so that you will save on a lot of time checking out and checking in. Not to mention the luggage that you have to carry through cramped subways and then arriving at your hotel with very strict check-in times. IMO, doing this once is enough trouble as it is.

Travel. Kyoto does not have a very good public transportation network, unlike Osaka and Tokyo. It has a few train lines and only 2 subway lines. Buses are the main public transports here. A ticket cost 220 yen for most buses. There's a bus pass you can get for the day at 500 yen. Read more here. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html

And check for train/subway prices here: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ (use google maps to identify station names) prices are highly dependent on where you are going, averaging around the 200 yen mark.

A bowl of ramen: averaging 700-800 yen. A meal of gyudon: 300 to 400 yen (just gyudon) or 500-600 yen for a set meal. Cold water is free at most places. There's a sushi conveyor belt restaurant in Kyoto called Musashi which has all plates of sushi (2 pieces) at 135 yen each. Tea is free. A serving of food from festival stalls are mostly all 500 yen like takoyaki, yakisoba and okonomiyaki. You can have a feast without breaking the bank by going to the basement levels of supermarkets and get ready made fresh meals very cheaply. You can also try "tapao-ing" for lunch if that is what you choose.

Have fun!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,777 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estimate of daily expenses

Sample travel budgets - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,364 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estimate of daily expenses

There isn't necessarily anything wrong with switching hotels. The switch allows you visit another city without commuting repeatedly while costs money and time as well. However, if you are going to make the switch, you should give Osaka at least one more night to make the check-in/out time investment worthwhile. From Osaka, you can still easily take day trips to destinations such as Nara and Kobe as well.

Post #1 gave you some budgets already. I personally don't recommend conveyor-belt sushi as quality usually is very lacking. You can eat sushi sets at some places for 2,000 to 3,500 Yen with good to excellent quality. If you are adventurous, Endo Sushi in the Osaka Central Wholesale Market (nothing like Tokyo's Tsukiji for visitors though) serves decent sushi with good ingredients at a good price:

misstravelosopher.com/2013/…

On a per day basis, allow 3,000 to 5,000 Yen for meals and 1,000 Yen for transport within a city. For admission fees, you can always use sites like Japan Guide to find the actual cost.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estimate of daily expenses

Thank you all so much for your comments and advice. The only reason I want to stay 2 days in Osaka is actually to be near to KIX as I need to get to the airport by 8am on the departure date. If I can get there from Kyoto easily then I will just stay the whole 8 days there. May I get some advice please? Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Estimate of daily expenses

You can look up bus times here: http://www.kate.co.jp/pc/index_e.html

Or train times at Hyperdia

Or you could book with MK Taxi.

It's an early start if you stay in osaka too. You might save 30 minutes. Normally I wouldn't recommend it, but as long as you like big cities, given your lengthy stay in Kyoto, I think the last 2 nights in Osaka might be fun anyway.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Estimate of daily expenses

Do I purchase a return ticket on Haruka-Icoca to kyoto when I arrive at the airport or should I purchase the single trip ticket considering that I will be going back to the airport from Namba on the departure date. What is the best option?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Estimate of daily expenses

8,000 yen per day per person. Good food, good drink, attraction admission, transport and incidentals.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,777 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Estimate of daily expenses

Are you using the westjr.co.jp/global/… - offer? Or are you taking a bus from KIX and train for the return to KIX?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Estimate of daily expenses

Most probably train both ways if its the most convenient mode of transport.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Estimate of daily expenses

Hi, need some advice on purchase of the Haruka/Icoca pass from KIX to Kyoto.

Should I purchase a single or return ticket on arrival as I will be getting back to the airport from Namba, Osaka instead of Kyoto on departure? Thanks.