We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when to book hotels

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
when to book hotels

Hi to all the experts!

Do you think we will get better prices on hotels if we wait till 3 months before required or if we book early, say 4-5 months in advance (bearing in mind many have mentioned the hotels advertise their availability only 3 months in advance)

Thanks in advance

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when to book hotels

I don't believe that kind of advantage is commonplace in Japan. You can always check with individual facilities to make sure you get the best deal!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when to book hotels

I think a lot depends on whether you book the trip, if directly to the hotel, or through a reseller (Expedia, Booking, Agoda etc..). In this second case, the advantage of booking in advance can not only be saving money (which I would not rule out), but the very availability. Let me explain. If you are interested in some hotels in particular (for example, because the advantage of their location), if you wait you risk of not finding place in that hotel. It happened to me both in Tokyo and in Kyoto: I booked well in advance (six months), two rooms for many nights (six in Tokyo, five in Kyoto), then having checked after two months more, the site replied that there were no longer available rooms.

Brun066

Edited: 04 February 2014, 10:41
Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when to book hotels

Thanks - I think we'll book sooner rather that later - don't want to miss out!

4. Re: when to book hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:26