We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to travel to Kyoto and back from Osaka Kansai

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest way to travel to Kyoto and back from Osaka Kansai

I will be travelling to Kyoto for one week and would like to know the cheapest method of travelling from Osaka Kansai to Kyoto and back.

I have looked into the JR east pass which costs ¥2060 for one day. Of course I will need to buy two of these, one for the way out and one for the way back (is this even possible)?

Of course the route I take should accommodate luggage (2 big suitcases) :) .

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to travel to Kyoto and back from Osaka Kansai

westjr.co.jp/global/…

ICOCA(2000yen) is something similar to EZ-link in SG. Return Airport Express ticket is 2060yen.

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to travel to Kyoto and back from Osaka Kansai

Thanks for your reply.

So, this card will cost ¥4060 yen, giving me ¥1500 credit and a return trip from KIX to kyoto. Whilst I am in Kyoto I will be travelling mainly around the city and will spend two days in Osaka and Nara. I have seen that the card does not work on all Kyoto City buses, but as the bus system seems to be more developed than the trains/ subway in Kyoto we were planning on using the buses instead. So would I only use this card for the return airport journey and then the two days in Osaka and Nara, and then purchase a ¥500/day bus pass for the days I stay in Kyoto?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to travel to Kyoto and back from Osaka Kansai

yes, exactly.

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to travel to Kyoto and back from Osaka Kansai

Thank you. Is there a cheaper alternative to the 1 day bus pass for foreigners, or is 500 the cheapest? Are buses truly the most efficient (time-wise and money-wise) to travel around Kyoto?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,696 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to travel to Kyoto and back from Osaka Kansai

The 500 Yen bus pass is the cheapest. However, buses aren’t the most efficient. Any ride that lasts more than 5 or 6 stops is prone to city traffic. Take the subway for longer rides when possible.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to travel to Kyoto and back from Osaka Kansai

Definitely.

We took a long trip by bus this week and it took ages...

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to travel to Kyoto and back from Osaka Kansai

You could buy from discount ticket shop (called Kinken Shop). There is one across from Daimaru department store. There are more stores but this one is easy to spot.

It's only 1-2% off for one day pass, but more discount for some seasonal tickets.

They buy back too.

8. Re: Cheapest way to travel to Kyoto and back from Osaka Kansai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 05:16