We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Ryokan in Kyoto?

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which Ryokan in Kyoto?

Does anyone have advice about which Ryokan to stay? I'm looking at the Tamahan and Hiiragiya but both are frighteningly expensive and have some patchy reviews here around poor rooms and consistency. I'd really value advice on these two and whether there are others we should be considering. We're in Kyoto for one night only in early August, and want to make the most of an authentic Japanese ryokan experience while also seeing as much as we can of the city's beautiful attractions.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,429 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Ryokan in Kyoto?

Please search through www.japaneseguesthouses.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Ryokan in Kyoto?

Hi Dave,

We are doing, but they are not particularly strong on feedback re one over another, or any detail. Do you have any insight?

Thanks so much,

Rosemary

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Ryokan in Kyoto?

I unfortunately haven't stayed at either, but I like the looks of Hiiragaya Ryokan more.

I've stayed at GIon Hatanaka. It's very expensive (fortunately it was a company trip, so the boss was paying!). We enjoyed a dinner/ show with Geisha as well at the Gion Hatanaka (also very expensive).

Some of the (bad) reviews comment about the price and the fact that you're sleeping on the floor... they don't seem to understand that that is the traditional way japanese sleep (personally I'm quite comfortable on a futon, especially as you're also on 'softer' tatami mat flooring). Generally, most westerners would stay in a ryokan for only one night, and it's all about the experience.

Ryokan is definitely worth the experience, arrive late afternoon, and you'll be welcomed with tea and japanese snack. Go and relax in the onsen, then enjoy dinner in your yukata. Return to your room to your futons laid out ('turn-down' service).

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Ryokan in Kyoto?

Hiiragiya is a well known ryokan and it's all about centuries old history and tradition which might be difficult for a foreign visitor to understand. It's expensive as the dinner provided is authentic Kaiseki cuisine (which is already $$$ and might also be difficult to appreciate the subtle differences).

Kyoto is not necessarily the best place to enjoy a ryokan stay (provincial towns by the sea or in the hills are best for cost / performance). How about Gion Hatanaka or Nishiyama?

Otherwise I might suggest going mid-range instead of a luxury ryokan.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298564-d102885…

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Ryokan in Kyoto?

Tamahan is tucked away off an alley with a cobblestone pathway, very quaint and a nice area to stroll around. I think they put up flags at the end of the alley based on what countries guests are visiting from. We had a hinoki bath in our room and the food was really enjoyable/memorable. When we went the rooms were a little older but comfortable enough. I haven't stayed at Hiiragaya but I'm pretty sure it's more expensive than Tamahan tho it does have all the cache etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Ryokan in Kyoto?

Thanks so much! Really helpful advice. I appreciate it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Ryokan in Kyoto?

Thanks very much!

8. Re: Which Ryokan in Kyoto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:16