We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kyoto trip

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
kyoto trip

HI,

first time to Kyoto. plan to stay for 5 days. Can anyone recommend what to do?

Seattle
Level Contributor
49 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kyoto trip

What are your interests? Gardens, temples, food, shopping, performing arts, visual arts?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kyoto trip

So much to see!

For 5 days, you should definitely plan a few day trips. Great day trips from Kyoto include: Nara, Osaka, Kibune, Kobe, Hiroshima

My favorite things to do/see in Kyoto:

- Kiyomizudera Temple

- Pontocho Alley near Gion

- Gion District

- The Philosopher's Path + nearby Nanzenji Temple + Ginkakuji Temple

- Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Pavilion)

- Fushimi Inari Shrine

- Nishiki Market

- Arashiyama District

More on Kyoto: http://www.blaineanderin.com/two-days-kyoto/

Seattle
Level Contributor
49 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kyoto trip

You could spend a year in Kyoto and never see everything that was worth seeing. I agree with the suggestions of the previous poster--particularly, Kiyomizudera, Fushimi Inari, and Arashiyama. Be sure to walk around the neighborhood adjacent Kiyomizudera--makes you feel like you're in old Japan. Plan on a good 3 hours for Fushimi Inari if you plan to hike up to the top (unless you're in great shape, in which case you might be able to do it in 2 hours). I think the Heian Shrine Garden is vastly underrated and would include that in your itinerary. Regarding the Philosopher's Pathway, you could start at Ginkakuji and walk south to Eikandou and Nanzenji, both which are worth seeing. Kabuki is also worth seeing, as are the geisha odoris, if they are being presented when you are there.

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
582 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kyoto trip

You might want to invest in one of the many tour books focusing on Kyoto. Or do some online research. There are so many options it depends on what your interests are.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kyoto trip

many thanks for all suggestions. I have some friend suggest me to stay at osaka since only half hour away from Kyoto and it could be cheaper and easy for going around to other part of Japan since it is major train hub. Is it good idea? Or stay at Kyoto and move to Osaka when about to go west and south?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,952 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kyoto trip

If it's Kyoto you want to see, stay in Kyoto. If you're staying 5 nights, that's 5 hours of sightseeing time wasted travelling between Osaka and Kyoto. I was able to find modestly priced accommodation in Kyoto, although it may be more difficult in peak seasons. If money is an issue, then stay 1 or 2 nights less in Kyoto, and then move somewhere cheaper.

Seattle
Level Contributor
49 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kyoto trip

I agree with Selsy. Kyoto has accommodations in many price ranges. and why waste the time commuting. There's so much to see in Kyoto, you don't want to waste any time

8. Re: kyoto trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:15