We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place to buy Japanese whisky and awamori.

5 posts
Save Topic
Good place to buy Japanese whisky and awamori.

Good in the sense of reasonable (or bellow reasonable) pricing and a broad selection. In case it matters, I'll be interested in higher-end malt whisky and kusu (aged awamori).

I primarily have brick and mortar stores in mind but if you know of an online store with the above-mentioned qualities and prompt delivery to Kyoto, please do mention it!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good place to buy Japanese whisky and awamori.

you could get stuff at duty free in the airport if you're going back home and don't need it in japan. there's a lot of whiskey, didn't pay attn to awamori. pricing is pretty good.

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good place to buy Japanese whisky and awamori.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm afraid that's not really what I'm looking for... I'm pretty sure a DF shop would only feature the most popular whiskies by Suntory and Nikka, I highly doubt there would be any kusu there. I, on the other hand, would like to have access to stuff not found easily on the foreign market in addition to the famous Yamakazi/Yoichi/Hakushu malts. That's why I mentioned a "broad selection" being sought for.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good place to buy Japanese whisky and awamori.

If you are not on a direct flight security may take the bottles off you in the transit airport .

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,030 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good place to buy Japanese whisky and awamori.

Duty Free (and click on the "other related products" on the right for other Japanese whisky)

fasola-shop.com/products/detail.php…

All the large department stores at the basement food hall have good selection. As for online stores, you put the Japanese characters in search engine and tons available. such as https://awamori.co.jp/ or use amazon.co.jp (available in English)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,841 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good place to buy Japanese whisky and awamori.

Department stores are your best bet. They have a lot of varieties you won't find at the airport... I like some of the products by Ichiro's Distillery, but do some research on them before buying. Double Distilleries was one that I gave as a gift and was very much enjoyed.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good place to buy Japanese whisky and awamori.

In my wanderings I did come across stores that did specialize in the much more authentic hard to find liquors. Takayama, Kyoto, Osaka, and Tokyo I managed to stumble(not literally) into some really nicely outfitted shops.

Unfortunately, I was just wandering and happened upon them. Maybe one of the locals will come on here and give exact.

Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good place to buy Japanese whisky and awamori.

BTW, I think that they might be sold at Biccamera in front of Kyoto station and Tsunoki in Nishiki marcket.

8. Re: Good place to buy Japanese whisky and awamori.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 07:15