We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please comment on itinerary!

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Please comment on itinerary!

We are arriving Weds afternoon and leaving the following Monday. Can you all please advise on if this itinerary makes sense or should I rearrange anything? Also please comment on day trip options. Thank you!!

Weds afternoon: Fushimi Inari-taisha, Gion District

Thursday: Eastern Kyoto - Ginkaku-ji, Philosopher's Path, Nanzenji, Heian Shrine, Higashiyama Street, Kiyomizudera

Friday: Northern Kyoto - Kinkaku-ji, Ryōan-ji, Nijo Castle

Saturday: Day trip options: Kurama Onsen or Osaka or Nara or Mount Koya

Sunday: Western Kyoto - Arashiyama Bamboo, Monkey Park, Okochi Sanso Villa, Tenryuji Temple

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,492 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please comment on itinerary!

Looks pretty good to me, but Thursday might be too busy. Remember that you don't need to walk the whole length go P. Path, especially out of cherry blossom season. Don't forget to visit the garden at Heihan Jingu. It's one of the most beautiful gardens in Kyoto.

I vote for Nara and Osaka in the evening for a day trip. Mt. Koya is also nice but the biggest highlight there is to stay overnight in a temple lodging, plus it takes a long time to get there. Nara, especially Todaiji, IMO is a must see.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,236 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please comment on itinerary!

Philosopher's Path is pretty optional as Shibuyakko said. Without the cherry blossoms, more time at Higashiyama would be much more worthwhile.

Friday actually looks a bit light although it could be welcoming just to relax and sit at a coffee shop at the city center, do some shopping or opt for some time at Nishiki Market. You might need a temple break by then.

London, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please comment on itinerary!

I agree that Friday is a bit light. If you are going to Ryoanji then I would recommend Ninnaji, which is within walking distance before heading back to Nijo castle. Ninnaji is rather under rated but I always found the rock garden there more profound than the one at Ryoanji.

Regarding Saturday day trip, if you were considering Mount Koya, did you look at Mount Hiei? Very similar to each other but Mount Hiei is much closer and an easy day trip from Kyoto.

NYC
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please comment on itinerary!

Great, thanks for all the recommendations everyone!

5. Re: Please comment on itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17